Parking Brake equalizer

PaulProe

I am trying to learn about the e-brake system used on the 93-97 supercoupes, for use on my Cobra kitcar.

Two cables leave the caliper and meet at the middle of the car, over the top of the differential, above the mounting frame. There is some type of linkage/springs/adjuster that then connect to the cable that goes forward to the brake lever.

Does anyone have any pictures of the linkage/springs/adjuster that ties the three cables together.

Thanks

Paul

I'll try to get some for you tonight, if you promise to send me some pictures of your Cobra. :D

Or if you go to the TCCoA, and look at their exhaust systems pictures, you may get a glimpse of what you're speaking of. I believe that the e-brakes are the same back there on the base birds and sc's...

Last edited:
Foot activated

I'm pretty sure base birds have a foot activated parking brake. If that's the case, the routing would be different.

I had a '93 LX and I'm on my 2nd '97 LX - they all had or have a foot activated emergency brake. My son's '94 LX is also foot activated.

The SC's have the hand brake in the console.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

yes, they do have the foot-activated e-brake, but the back half (between the two rear brakes) may be the same - that's the area in question. Routing doesn't matter, since it's going in a kit Cobra :D Do you guys know if the adjustment provisions between the rear wheels are the same between the years and models?

Found em'

Doc Fishbone,
Thanks for your help - I found some detail on the TCCoA website. A couple pictures answered my questions.

From your experience with the coupes, are the parking brakes problematic? They set the puck by "pushing" the housing of the cable rather than pulling the center core. Was it one of Ford's better ideas?

Many of our Cobra users with this setup complain the brake doesn't hold very well. I see to make the system most efficient, you can't have any extra slop or movement in the brake cables - they need to be anchored within about 18" of the caliper end.

Any tricks to make them work better?

Paul

Personally, I've never had any problems with mine when they're adjusted properly. And, they're easy to adjust the way the adjuster is designed. My car has sat way more than it's been driven over the years, and I've not encountered a sticking or slipping problem.

JD

I don't think they work very well in an emergency - they don't seem to grip as well as e-brakes on some other cars I've driven. Other than that, if tightened, like txsc was saying, they work just fine as a parking brake. I've parked on some pretty steep inclines before and they held fine.

Now slowing a kit Cobra down in an emergency, I would bet would be easier for the brakes, since the Cobra probably weighs half of was the T-Bird does.

As far as how the brakes are "set" I'm not sure what goes on mechanically, I haven't really studied it much. But I know they can me set to be pretty tight, but the problem is that the e-brake handle is very hard to pull! I've been thinking about checking out the handle to see if there's a way to get more leverage out of it, but who knows when that'll be...

Hope it works out for Paul!

Back