89 SC mabey bad DIS?

funkbuster

Ok, I got an 89 SC. Person I bought it from said that after it is driving for about 30 miles it will start to run really bad for a few minutes then clear up. I havent drove it close to 30 miles. I noticed here lately the tachometer has stopped working sometimes. Tonight on way home from work, tach wasnt working. About 10 miles into trip, the tach started working. As soon as it kicked on, the car started bucking really badly, going about 65mph. I slowed down some, got off my exit, and was trying to limp it home. I noticed that it sounded like it was skipping really bad, like only a few cylinders were firing. I was driving about 30mph and holding it in 2nd gear, when I tried to go to third, it was too much load on engine and it would start bucking too much, so I went back to 2nd. I drove like that for about 5 minutes. Coming up on a 4 way stop, I push in the clutch and coast a little bit. I stopped, and when I took off, car was running smooth again and ran great the last mile home. What does this sound like? Mabey a bad DIS module?
Also, my driver's window was off track, so I took it and had it put on track, and the next day it stopped going up and down. I took the panel off and all is plugged up. It was where it would go up and down every now and then, mabey if I hit on the door it would work. NOw it is at the point where it does nothing. Would this be the switch or the motor?

just trying to get this thing right while I have a little moneys.

Thanks for help
Chase

I'd say DIS or cam position sensor. I've had about 5 DIS's go back on my several cars, and one CAM sensor. Both will yield similiar effects, but I'd say the DIS is the weaker of the two.

Window motor - could be either problem. Can you hear anything when you press the button?

Sure sounds like the DIS to me.
When they start that running on what feels like half a motor, and your tach is being irregular--its DIS time.

You might as welll do the cam position sensor also.

You might try taking your DIS off and remounting it with some artic silver, and see how things work.

Good Luck:)

ok, thanks for the help, I guess I will go ahead and pick me up a DIS, they are expensive, but I guess my 20% discount should help a little. The window doesnt do anything when I press the switch, no sound or anything.
DIS is the ignition module right? Before I go buy it.

Last edited:
Correct, DIS is the ignition module. My car also did the exact same thing yours was doing, id be fairly confident that it is the problem.

Well, on the window motor, if you have a test lamp or multimeter you could always check if it's getting any voltage with the switch depressed. If not, I'd just take it out and tap some wires on the terminals of a battery and motor. Or you could take it out and remove the gear cover. See if the plastic cams are a disaster...

Check your EEC IV codes in memory - if you have code 19 it's likely either your DIS or cam sensor is faulty.

Start with the cheap fix first. Replace the cam sensor for only $30 to $40. My car was doing exactly as you describe and the new cam sensor fixed the problem - plus my gas mileage has improved 20% to where it should be. Also, put some heat transfer paste under the DIS for a couple bucks. If this all fails then replace the DIS and pay the hefty price.

If the DIS overheats it will act funny the same way you just suggested. Because your tac isn’t working cold, it think your DIS might be bad. When you replace yours, make sure you use the correct heat sink compound before bolting it back down otherwise you may end up with a similar problem.;)

ok pm sent manny.
I got the window working kinda again, I guess they the plug had come undone or something. Anyway, it will go up and down fine in the morning while it is still cool outside, but once it warms up the window will do nothing. When it does work, it will only go up and down a few times then it will stop working until it sits for a few minutes then will work again. Seems like it is getting hot and not working for some reason.

as for the window ,the lttle plastic parts that help the window ,up / down is toast . easy to fix ,most likely the other window is going to . i ,made 3 little tri-angles for each window ,out of some hard-wood ,works good now

cheers

before you buy dis module, please check the ignition switch

before you buy the dis module, please check the ignition switch under the steering column, I just had the same problem, here's what happened, the stock ignition switch was splitting apart because the tabs had opened up, ford manufacturing problem, and you will lose power to your assessories, ie radio, power locks, windows,etc. Apparently the problem caused the dis module to short out, I lost firing to coil on 2 and 5 cylinders. Just check this out because if you dont you will fry the new one.

o0h snap! forgot to send it out !!

ill send it out in morning sorry got side tracked by other shipments

Back