auto trans question.

cj4ebay

Im not sure how my transmission should be properly shifting. Its the stock auto in my 90 SC. It doesnt seem to like to go into overdrive untill im at about 2k RPMs and goin 45-50. i dont know if this is normal or a problem becasue this is my first SC. also sometimes it seems like its goin to downshift when i hit the gas, but it almost, overestimates how far im gettin on the peddle and it revs up like its goin into the gear, then suddenly stop and upshifts again. its something possibly wrong? other than that it shifts fine under pressure and in normal driving

It sounds about right. I think the correct OD engagement at cruise (not mashing the gas) should occur at 45mph (stock gears, stock trans). If im feathering the gas, mine kicks at exactly 45. If you mash it, it should stay off longer. If your WOT, it shouldn't shift at all.

If your worried about it, you can have a ford tech do a quick road test and he should be able to tell right away. Like always, check the fluid. If its murky dark red, then it probably needs a change. if it smells burnt, you're in trouble. Also, check the kickdown cable to see if the linkage bushing has broken off. It tends to happen on the older SCs as they are plastic. This will definitely muck with shifting. The cable should be attached to your throttle body (bottom?) arm. It would be cheap insurance to upgrade to the metal bushing.

As a side note, I switched my trans fluid to B&M trickshift full synthetic many moons ago (at least 8 or 10k ago) and I'm very happy with the result.

-dz

Last edited:
It sounds about right. I think the correct OD engagement at cruise (not mashing the gas) should occur at 45mph (stock gears, stock trans). If im feathering the gas, mine kicks at exactly 45. If you mash it, it should stay off longer. If your WOT, it shouldn't shift at all.

If your worried about it, you can have a ford tech do a quick road test and he should be able to tell right away. Like always, check the fluid. If its murky dark red, then it probably needs a change. if it smells burnt, you're in trouble. Also, check the kickdown cable to see if the linkage bushing has broken off. It tends to happen on the older SCs as they are plastic. This will definitely muck with shifting. The cable should be attached to your throttle body (bottom?) arm. It would be cheap insurance to upgrade to the metal bushing.

As a side note, I switched my trans fluid to B&M trickshift full synthetic many moons ago (at least 8 or 10k ago) and I'm very happy with the result.

-dz

alright cool, yea i should check the fluid, im not sure how long its gone without a change because i just got the car. thnx

Back