Mustang Hub / Offset problems

Dahoopd

I have Bullets in 18 x 9 with a 36mm offset and they are sticking out like 2 inches from the fender. The tire is also a paperclip away from the upper control arm in the front. I would post a pic but my camara is shot. I got the hubs from a 95 mustang. After putting them on I realized they dont have the ABS ring so they are worthless anyway.

My question is were the hubs differant on the mustang from year to year. Did I use the wrong hubs. Any input is greatly appreciated Gents.

Has to be offset on rims. I dont believe the hubs are the problem

The offset is 36mm, after a search I found threads where others have put the same rim on. Here are the pics. I figured out why the wheel is sticking out some, the rotors are Brembo and they are not sitting flush on the hub. They sit flush on the Cobra hubs I bought but not the mustang hubs. The studs are not tapered enough.

I assume the tires I bought are too tall and thats why they are so close to the UCA. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Rim1.JPG
    Rim1.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Rim3.JPG
    Rim3.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
On my 90 and 93, the 17x8 front wheels are a 38mm offset and fit.

Mike,

Do you have a bigger pic of yours with the rims on it? I am hoping the new rotors will help it some. As for the tire I assume I just picked a tire that was too tall (245/50/18). I was trying to close the fender gap a little more before lowering it but from what I can see. I wont be able to lower it any.

driverfront.jpg

driverrear.jpg

Mike,

Do you have a bigger pic of yours with the rims on it? I am hoping the new rotors will help it some. As for the tire I assume I just picked a tire that was too tall (245/50/18). I was trying to close the fender gap a little more before lowering it but from what I can see. I wont be able to lower it any.

For comparison, if it helps any, I am running 245/45/18 and do not have any issues. Sorry I don't have any clearer shots. 13" Brembo brakes as well and the car is not lowered.

94sc.jpg

Last edited:
I think my issue is with the back spacing. I have read that others have 6.125 and mine are 6.45. Judging by the way they fit thats a huge differance.

The tires are 27.7" and a 245/45/18 are suppose to be 27". I didnt think the tires would make that big of a differance.

Last edited:
I think my issue is with the back spacing. I have read that others have 6.125 and mine are 6.45. Judging by the way they fit thats a huge differance.

The tires are 27.7" and a 245/45/18 are suppose to be 27". I didnt think the tires would make that big of a differance.

the bigger the backspace the more tucked in the rims should be on the same width rim. i'm running 18x9 black saleen speedstars +24mm offset in the mustang pattern and your wheels with +36mm offset stick out alot further than mine, something wrong.:confused: i'm using 265/40/18 size tires with eibach springs and you can see my pics on my members page if you want to compare.

Last edited:

245-45-18 is 26.6" tall....255-45-18 is 27" tall. The tire you are using as you already know now, if way to tall.

With regard to wheel offset. You may have a 6.45" backspace but the wheel could also be 10.5" wide for all I know. This would be a common spec and also explain the tractor look ya got goin' on there.

Hope you get things sorted out.

Brad

the bigger the backspace the more tucked in the rims should be. i'm running 18x9 black saleen speedstars +24mm offset in the mustang pattern and your wheels with +36mm offset stick out alot further than mine, something wrong.:confused: i'm using 265/40/18 size tires with eibach springs and you can see my pics on my members page if you want to compare.

Its OBVIOUSLY NOT a 9" wheel with a +36MM offset...Posts like this confuse and only end up mis-informing others with less of a grasp on this stuff.;)

Brad

245-45-18 is 26.6" tall....255-45-18 is 27" tall. The tire you are using as you already know now, if way to tall.

With regard to wheel offset. You may have a 6.45" backspace but the wheel could also be 10.5" wide for all I know. This would be a common spec and also explain the tractor look ya got goin' on there.

Hope you get things sorted out.

Brad

Tire rack stated that a 245/45/18 is 27" tall and a 245/50/18 is 27.7" tall. I was trying to fit a taller tire on the car but from the looks of it I dont see how a 245/45 is going to work either. There must be a problem with the suspension. And the rim is a 9" rim. Thanks for the help, I think the only way to fix the problem is to go with 17" rims.

Its OBVIOUSLY NOT a 9" wheel with a +36MM offset...Posts like this confuse and only end up mis-informing others with less of a grasp on this stuff.;)

Brad

It IS a 18x9 with a 36mm offset. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...tegoryZ43958QQihZ019QQitemZ290132656199QQrdZ1

Last edited:
Tire rack stated that a 245/45/18 is 27" tall and a 245/50/18 is 27.7" tall. I was trying to fit a taller tire on the car but from the looks of it I dont see how a 245/45 is going to work either. There must be a problem with the suspension. And the rim is a 9" rim. Thanks for the help, I think the only way to fix the problem is to go with 17" rims.

It IS a 18x9 with a 36mm offset. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...tegoryZ43958QQihZ019QQitemZ290132656199QQrdZ1

IMO you have bigger problems than wheel fitment...I would not even drive the car until I verified that all was in place correct. Something is not right, be it a part or something not pressed all the way in, etc...

I would start over if it were mine. That wheel should fit perfect.

I have no words for Tire Rack not knowing the actual height of the tire size. That is laughable...255-45-18 is 27" and will fit with minimal issues.

Brad

I THINK 99% OF US CAN TELL IT'S NOT A 10.5" WIDE RIM BY THE DISH OF THE OUTER RIM.

You have no idea what you are talking about and have apparently not seen a high offset 18X10.5 bullit...They have no more lip than an 8 or 9 so quit posing as if you have some kind of authority on the subject already. And I find it humorous that you think I have been set strait...As If...Bah

Its comments just like the one you made that get SOME people confused and go on thinking a +36 offset wheel won't fit...

Brad

Cuda,

Can you tell me if a 245/50/18 is suppose to fit? Maybe there is a suspension problem?

No...That size it too tall.

The tire you are looking for is a 255-45-18 and it is the limit with regard to Height, being 27" tall. They will rub in the front at lock to lock on the raised square area of the plastic fender skirt/insert. In the rear they will likely rub on the fender lips.

Lets keep in mind that the above applies to a correct fitting wheel application or hub assembley.

Make an exact list of what parts you used for your conversion. If your parts list is spot on then there is an issue with the assembley of a, or some parts.

Definatley don't just decide to live with it that way and go to 17's though...Someone that has done a swap should be able to pick up on the problem.

Brad

I did the hub swap .......................

As for tires and rims I went the economy route.
Saleen had a special on Mustang Takeoffs and I got a set of four brand new 2005-2006 Mustang GT 17x8 Bullitts
with Pirelli P235/55ZR17 98W Pzero Neros for $299.99

They fit perfect.........................................

Back