using 8v preamp deck with 2-4v amp input

kwikcoupe

so Ive now got a choise to make. Ive got an eclipse cd8445 and a pioneer deh-p980bt. The eclipse with 8 volts on the preamps and the ppioneer with 5 volts. If I was to plug either of these into a phoenix amplifier that took 2 or 4 volts ( cant remember) WHAT WOULD HAPPEN.

iVE HEARED OF A PORCESS CALLED OVER GAINING WHICH IS PUtting a preamp voltage higher than normal to lower the gains of the amp. If this basically what Ill be doing or will it blow the input side of the amp? If someone knows and has actual knowledge please help. Also for those who have relocated the deck to the bottom dash hole, do you notice the shifter getting in the way of use, CDs and such, viewing angles and such. Both my decks are too deep to fit in the normaol hole. Mike

You won't have a problem with the pre-amp voltage. The strong audio source will ensure you don't have to crank the gains on the amps which will result in a cleaner sound.

As for the lower position, it's not a problem accessing the CD but the viewing angle isn't that great. You will definitely want to make good use of your remote too. The lower position is better at keeping the deck out of view from the outside (slight anti-theft advantage perhaps).

Help a silent SC out...

Do you want to sell one of those, I'm liking that Pioneer unit, but the Eclipse looks pretty good too, can't run them in parallel, might as well get rid of one.:D

Maybe you need some '92 parts, I've got a lot of different things if you're interested in a trade.

I'm running nothing right now, need some tunes bad. Want to get one with at least two pre-outs and aux in. Yours look like plenty.

It should be a problem, but I'd guess that you'd get signal clipping if you turned the stereo volume up high. (which will basically sound terrible) Not 100% sure though. The head unit output volt is probably 8v p-p, so in other words, it's not a constant 8v signal comes out of your cd player. Lemme check up on what I'm saying, cause I'm not too sure about how they generally rate or measure cd player output voltages. -just my guesses are posted as of now :)

you can take a voltage meter to the deck pre outs and see if you are actually making the rated voltage pioneer is bad for keeping there decks constant. also I put 13 volts to a 4 volt amp and the amp still works and is some wheres around 3 years old.

you can take a voltage meter to the deck pre outs and see if you are actually making the rated voltage pioneer is bad for keeping there decks constant. also I put 13 volts to a 4 volt amp and the amp still works and is some wheres around 3 years old.

Where'd you get a "4-volt amp"? :confused:

And are you sure that you can use a voltmeter to read the signal from the pre-amp outputs? I've never tried, but I would think that you'd need an oscilloscope to see anything clearly...

All audio head units and amplifiers I seen (besides that used in industry-I'm not sure there) need either 12VDC or 120VAC supply power. Automotive applications can take 14.4v, 13v, 12v whatever a car supplies; of course, the closer to around 14.4v the better the performance of the amplifier - whether external or head-unit internal. The 120VAC supply power versions (for home, office, and other use) need to be converter to a DC supply before amplifying a signal. But I've never heard of or seen anything lower than that. It's even hard to find (if not impossible) op-amps or the like with a supply voltage need of 4volts.

Maybe I'm just not reading your message clearly, but do you understand what I'm saying?

Where'd you get a "4-volt amp"? :confused:

And are you sure that you can use a voltmeter to read the signal from the pre-amp outputs? I've never tried, but I would think that you'd need an oscilloscope to see anything clearly...

All audio head units and amplifiers I seen (besides that used in industry-I'm not sure there) need either 12VDC or 120VAC supply power. Automotive applications can take 14.4v, 13v, 12v whatever a car supplies; of course, the closer to around 14.4v the better the performance of the amplifier - whether external or head-unit internal. The 120VAC supply power versions (for home, office, and other use) need to be converter to a DC supply before amplifying a signal. But I've never heard of or seen anything lower than that. It's even hard to find (if not impossible) op-amps or the like with a supply voltage need of 4volts.

Maybe I'm just not reading your message clearly, but do you understand what I'm saying?

a guy at a car audio shop told me about the volt meter he said with no speakers hooked up turn up the volume "I think all the way up"

and I was refering to 4 volt inputs on amps;)

and I was refering to 4 volt inputs on amps;)

That would explain it... :eek: When you said 13v, I thought power!

I guess you might be able to get a reading with the voltmeter when it's maxed out without speakers hooked up. It still seems a little "off" though. Maybe I'll try it sometime. There is plenty I don't know after all. ;)

Back