Pulstar pulse sparkplug

$25 a plug. Jeebus.

I guess it's a neat idea. I wonder what kind of capacitor it uses. I wouldn't be willing to find out for $150 for spark plugs. I'll settle for the $8 set.

If I ever get my bird running one of these years.
I may try a set,if I win a mega lottery.
They will be cheaper by then.

Randy

Last edited:
Not sure how different these are from the Nology plug wires from the 90's that were super popular with the ricers. As I recall one of the issues with such a plug or plug wire is that they provide maximum spark under all conditions which is not actually desired. The MSD system provides a prolonged spark which is beneficial at light load but a severe spark at light load may have damaging effects long term. That's just what I've read/heard.

I don't think that I will be buying any real soon.
The cost for a set of these plugs. Is more than
the value I could get for my SCBird, if I tried to
sell it.
Randy

Last edited:
The MSD system provides a prolonged spark which is beneficial at light load but a severe spark at light load may have damaging effects long term. That's just what I've read/heard.

The plug produces a higher wattage. I did not read that it
produced a longer spark dwell. That is one of the features of
a MSD boxs features you have refured to.

In a post about a newer style plug. I would not think compairing
longer spark dwell to higher spark wattage has much to do with
each other.

Nor would a high wattage plug at low RPMs or High RPMs hurt
a motor.

I have never had much use for a MSD box, or the use of a $25.00
new wave plug. Its always been easer for me to just run 36 volts
and two coils to two spark plugs per-cylinder. Of corse I am not
refuring to a 3.8 SC motor, When talking about adding 36 volts
to the ignition system. But this is because with my expeariance
with a stock 3.8 sc power is not worth the cost of a MSD box
or this costly of a plug. I don't think a SC 3.8 is worth the cost
of the platum plugs, so I use cheap copper plugs.

Randy

Last edited:
Geeze... you'd think that in a modern world "snake oil" products would be something you only read about in history books, but obviously these types of scams are alive and well (albeit "modernized" to present day beliefs).

Spark plugs aren't "mysterious" devices. They have been researched to death for a whole host of reasons, and their properties are well known. Their primary function is to ignite a small kernel of the air/fuel mixture. Once that task is completed, their job is done.

Pulse plugs incorporate a pulse circuit, which stores incoming electrical energy from the ignition system and releases the stored energy in a powerful pulse of power. Instead of 50 watts of peak power typical of all spark plugs, pulse plugs deliver up to 1 million watts of peak power. So where does the pulse plug get its incredible power?
OK, first, the amount of power available is determined by the ignition coil. The energy that is released into the secondary coil (the high voltage winding that feeds the spark plug) is stored in the magnetic core, and the amount of energy that can be stored is finite. This is known as "saturation". Our coils are already driven into saturation so you cannot extract any more power from them than you do now. Unless there is a power wire connected to these plugs, they cannot by themselves increase the amount of power delivered to the spark gap. This should be the first clue something isn't right with their claims.

When the ignition signal is sent to a traditional spark plug, it begins to ionize the spark gap. This means that the voltage builds in the gap until a spark can be formed. During this ionization phase, which lasts about 5 millionths of a second, the incoming voltage (which has nowhere to go) heats up ignition components including the spark plug. This is wasted energy. When the ignition voltage overcomes the resistance in the spark gap, the spark is created with an initial discharge of approximately 50 watts. Once created, the spark resides between the electrodes at very low power for over a period of 30 millionths of a second.

What is different about a pulse plug is that instead of heating ignition parts during the ionization phase, this energy is stored in the integral circuit inside the pulse plug. When the ignition power overcomes the resistance in the spark gap, the pulse circuit discharges all of its accumulated power - 1 million watts - in 2 billionths of a second!
They obviously don't understand voltage, current, and power. The incoming voltage has nowhere to go? Please :rolleyes: Voltage is electrical pressure. If there is no completed circuit for current to flow then no power is delivered, regardless of how much voltage potential exists. Power is derived from multiplying voltage by current... and anything multiplied by zero is still zero! If there is no power delivered then how could it possibly waste energy by heating up ignition components?

I could go on and really rip this apart but I think you guys get the picture. It is rumoured that roughly 80% of all aftermarket power improvers are a waste of money, and I believe it. These guys are cashing in on a huge market filled with myths and wishful thinking. I kinda wish I had thought of this myself! ;)

For those who are interested in studying modern-day snake oil products, have a good look at Slick50 and the company that made billions from it. Even after their products were revealed to the world as crap, they STILL manage to sell the stuff to unsuspecting buyers worldwide! Incredible :eek:

02 sensors

you would get better results by spending the $150 on a brand new set of 02 sensors. You would see a mileage increase with those since your 02 sensors are probably 13-18 years old.

Oh yeah, the picture of the plug looks like a rendered cad drawing from kaleco auto!

As for slick 50

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/07/slick.shtm

It wasnt proven that it didnt work...Just that there wasnt substabntial proof that it did.

Back in the day I built a SBF hydraulic roller 306. After about 20,000 mioles I somehow twisted my oil pump shaft during a race. HAlfway through I was like oh crud a rocker got loose..

Pulled valve covers they were all loose..Hmmmmm Tightened them up..Started driving home..After about 15 miles i look down and go oh crap no oil pressure!

Drove hom anyway...Didnt seize didnt overheat..Now the only thing I did was tried some slick 50 about a month prior to doing this. So does it work?..I dont know but Heck that was an experience that was unexplainable...I wont evenb mention the time I drove 50 miles with no antifreeze due to a blown headgasket

I've driven motors without any oil pan at all. Rods just slinging whatever is left of the oil out on the ground. :eek: Took it apart later and saw absolutely no bearing damage. Who needs Slick 50? I'll just use a little dust and gravel. ;) Apparently it does the same thing.

Back