Tweed/leather seats

JAFO

Were the gray tweed/leather (upper) seats only offered in certain years? I only seem to run across them on '92 & '93 model years. Better yet, is there anyone that sells these seat covers as aftermarket items? Anyone ever done that? Cost? I've gotten to like the look of those more than the leather. I'm thinking that if I can't find a car with those that I might just recover the seats with these; since leather wears and gets cracked anyway.

Were the gray tweed/leather (upper) seats only offered in certain years?
I have those same seat in my 1992. I will have to say, that they hold up ALOT better than the leather seats from what I've seen!

My car is just over 10yrs old, and i have ONLY one small spot on drivers booster......fixed it with fabric glue! Other than that......they are flawless because they wear extremely well!!!!!

Better yet, is there anyone that sells these seat covers as aftermarket items?
I really don't know if anyone actually makes the seat covers necessary to cover fix our seats. If you find some, please info us back here!!!!

Cheers,
Calvin

Gulf Coast Chapter Forum

Last edited:
The seats in my car came from a '91 SC

insiderear.jpg

Mike Donley

the seats are available in red, gray, black, and blue, and were offered on 1991-1993 SC's

being that they are the "standard" seats, you are better off looking in some stripped sc's for them (lack of moonroof, lack of premium sound, etc, however i do know of one fully loaded sc that was special ordered Without leather)

just an FYI

oh and 94-95 had a split leather/cloth combo, however it is not tweed and is a different seat entirely, the leather being on the outside and cloth on the inside

also the 1991-93 seats are the only sc seats with a tbird logo embrodered in them (Very Sweet)

Seats.jpg

Interesting! So were there only 2 options, this or leather, or was there also a full cloth seat? If I see one for sale that is "cloth seats" can I assume it'll be these seats? Of course, we know what happens when you assume...

I know that 89-90 SC's had full cloth seats. I beleive the fore mentioned seats were the replacement for full cloth in the SC in 1991 though base models had full cloth and I know the LX had a split cloth/leather style Peter is describing but I think the tweed cloth/leather was optional on base and LX.

being that they are the "standard" seats, you are better off looking in some stripped sc's for them (lack of moonroof, lack of premium sound, etc, however i do know of one fully loaded sc that was special ordered Without leather)

I have those seats with MoonRoof, my car had premium sound before I replaced it. Only options I believe I'm missing is key-less entry, alarm and auto-dim.......

Cheers,
Calvin

i know there are exceptions to my explination, tom champagnes car for one, who has all options BUT full leather, but since most sc's came loaded to the hilt, it would seem to me that the less options an sc has (especially major ones like the moonroof and premium sound) the more likely it is to have the tweed seats.

also, i dont believe that tweed seats like the ones shown were available in any car BUT the sc. i have seen a 1991 cougar XR7 5.0 that had similar shaped seats but they were full cloth vs leather & tweed. the lx's im pretty sure only had leather and regular cloth, with the regular cloth being on the outside of the seats and the leather in the middle, not the top leather, bottom tweed/cloth of the 91-93 sc.

i had the twead seats in a 91sc that was wrecked. i then bought an 89sc with grey leather but the leahter is hammered. i am currently in the process of transferring over the interior from the 91sc to the 89sc. so far so good. will be two tone though. the dash is the dark gray and the headliner will still be tan. should look good. if not o'well its my beater car.

In 1991 Ford changed the SC seats. They have smaller bolsters than the 89-90's do (which wear a little better).

Peter,

My '92 SC is kinda wierd how its optioned. It has the tweed/leather seats, but also has the sunroof, JBL, and CD. But it does not have the vehicle maintenace moniter (VMM), or a power passenger seat track. I also have a 5 speed. As luck would have it, the exact options I would want anyway!

J-

Back