Motor Mount Replacement Question

Colo Bird

We are accessing & replacing the motor mounts from the rear since the catalytic converters are off for a clutch job. On the passenger side there is what appears to be a cylindrical heat shield (~ 6" length X 2" dia) surrounding a sensor which goes into the engine block. It is blocking access for the new mount. Anyone know what this sensor is and whether it needs to be removed to remove the heat shield?

Note - we got to all of the plugs from under the car except the front one on the passenger side which we will need to do from above.

Thanks for any input.

That's the knock sensor. If you're careful you can bend the shield out of the way to get the mount out and then bend it back after you put it back together. It sounds butch, but it's much better than it sounds.

Thanks Kevin. We'll try to bend it out of the way for the new motor mount. Of course the old mounts came out in two pieces and slipped around the shield. These solid rubber mounts are about 1/4" taller than the old ones so I hope they fit.

I had a hard time getting my new ones to bolt up, since they are taller. You might have to work with it some. I was having to jack the motor some to get mine to line up to get the bolts in. Good luck with it.

I literally pulled the motor up from one side while putting the mount in the other. Then the other side I had to use a jack with a piece of wood.

I went with stock replacements. I hope I don't regret that.

I literally pulled the motor up from one side while putting the mount in the other. Then the other side I had to use a jack with a piece of wood.

I went with stock replacements. I hope I don't regret that.

you will the ones i did only lasted 6-8months of my beating..:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

Thanks for that. The wifey doesn't drive it too much and we are in the process of getting it back to where it needs to be (restore paint, interior etc). I'll do em again........tail between legs.......

Back