cutting out on the 1-2 shift

nastybird93sc

Hey Guys, I Need A Little Help Once Again. When I Am Getting On It And It Goes To Shift From First To Second It Acts As If The Car Hits A Brick Wall. The Engine Shuts Down Completely For A Good One Second At Least ( I Meen I Can Count One-one Thousand) And Then Starts Up Again. Then It Shifts Fine Into 3rd. I Have A Raised Top, Custom Fmic W/dual Electric Fans, 10% Sc Pully, Dual Exhaust W/ Custom H-pipe,gutted Cats,and 2 Chamber Flowmasters, 373's In The Rear, Deleted Ac, 190 Lph Fuel Pump, And My Battery Is In The Trunk. Also, On A Bad Note. I Had To Replace The Transmission And I Got Hosed On It. The Guy Said It Was Out Of An Sc, But When I Steamed It Off It Had (in Scrap Yard Chalk) 92' Couger 3.8 Written On It. I Went Ahead And Put It In Until I Can Get A Better Tranny. It Didn't Have This Problem After I First Put The Tranny In. It Just Developed A Week Or Two Ago At The Track. Acting Like It Is, It Bearley Ran A 15.31 In The 1/4 Mile. I Did A Search And So Far Everything I Find Is Pointing Towards A Cranks Sensor Or Harmoic Balancer. Any Info Would Be Great. Thanks,joe:)

Well The Balancer Is Good And I Put A Brand New Crank Sensor And The Problem Still Persist. It Has Died Once On Me While Slowing Down From A Little Romp ( Idle To About 50mph). Other Than That It Still Just Falls On Its Face On The 1-2 Shift Then Picks Back Up. I Used Di-electric Grease When I Replaced The Dis Module ( It Was Out When I Bought It A Year Ago). Was That Possibly A Mistake? Thanks,joe:)

Well, I Had The Dis Module Checked And They Said Bank 1 Was Bad. I Had Lifetime Warranty So , No Biggie. But It Did Not Fix The Problem. It Will Bareley Start And Run. It Struggles To Idle At Around 400-500 AND PLAYING WITH THE THROTTLE DOESN'T DO A THING. I Changed The Crank Sensor, Dis Module, And The Cam Sensor. The Crank Sensor Is Adjusted Right, ( I Double Checked). I Have Been Un-hooking The Positive Cable Between Everything I Do. I PULLED THE NUMBER 1 PLUG AND IT HAD ACTUAL GASOLINE ON IT.Does Anyone Think It Could Be The O2 Sensors Or The Computer? Thanks,joe:)

Last edited:
I have seen a coil or two split underneath? Check that out and any wires + codes. I would not rule out fuel as the pumps only run so long and slow way down.

Well I Changed The Coil Pack And The Maf Today. Nothing Has Changed.it Smells Rich And Isn't Firing On All The Cylinders As It Turns Over. It Will Idle Like Crap, Running On About 3 Cylinder For Roughly 20 Sec. I Hope Someone Knows Something I Don't. Is There Anything Else That Would Cause This. Thanks,joe:)

Do you know how to check for codes? If not do a search. these things will (most of the time) tell you whats wrong with just the blinking engine light. The other thing I know was talked about is the balancer. Have some crank it and look closely. If it wiggles even a little bit it could have broke and throws off timeing. Hope this helps.

I Checked The Balancer When The Car Was Running. It Is Ok. So, Thats What Led Me To Believe It Was The Crank Sensor. I Have Been Searching Every Possible Thing I Can, According To The Symptoms I Have Been Getting. I Will Try The Codes Thing. How Do I Get To The Fpr To Check It? ( Remove The Wiper Cowl?). It Seems To Be Getting Plenty Of Fuel. Just Not Enough Fire. Has Anyone Had A Case Of Thier Computer Craping Out? Thanks,joe:)

I ATTEMPTED THE JUMPER SYSTEM CHECK. IF I DID IT RIGHT I GOT 52(Power Steering Pressure Switch/circuit open - PSP) 25(Knock sensor not tested (ignore if not pinging) - KS ) 22(MAP (vacuum) or BARO signal out of range - MAP) AND THEN SOME CONSITANT FLASHES THAT DID NOT OCCUR TO ME AS CODES. NOT SURE IF I AM DOING IT RIGHT. THANKS, JOE:)

The test is a little trickey and you need press on the brake,turn the wheel and trip the throttle at the right times to get just the error codes. Once you have them we can tell you whats wrong or at least what to replace next and keep you from going broke. Your 93 will have 3 digit code.The older ones had 2. Read up and make yourself a copy of the instuctions. its all very cool how it works. These are your friends> koer, koeo and stored codes
Its not a 100% but it works.

Back