A/C Problems...???

rad_al_

I bought one of those cans of A/C stuff (134) for my '94. It had a pressure gauge to let you know when the A/C is filled. I connected the fitting & it says the A/C system was at about 100 psi which is not good. I followed the directions exactly & I'm pretty positive I hooked it up right... passenger side fitting by the ARC actuator. Could that mean I have a bad condensor? Bad something? Any suggestions for an easy fix?
I could care less about A/C but I'd like to keep it for my wife & 13 month old daughter.
*just an additional note* The can of stuff was not defective because I used it on my Grand Prix- it took it all & now I have cold air in that car.

well, Harbor Freight has a set of manifold guages and couplers in a blow-molded case going for like 40 bucks right now. That's a good place to start.

If you're already full of freon, then there's not much left to quick-fix. Is the compressor comming on and off on a normal cycle? do you have any cold air at all at the vents?

Is the air comming out of the vents colder when you put the fan on low, but warmer when you put the fan on Hi? if so, you could have debris blocking the evaporator. Take out the glovebox and remove the blower fan. then reach inside and clean off the fins.

On my 94, I thought it was out of freon since it wasnt getting cold. I had it checked. It was full and the compressor would cycle on and off again very quickly. My brother checked it, bypassed the high-pressure switch and it has worked fine ever since. I know I should replace the switch but I'll get around to it eventually. Check it out and see if that's your problem. It is located on the pasesenger side near the firewall and is part of the a/c piping.

not 100% sure about the '94-'95's, but on the 89-93's it's screwed into the receiver dryer and can be removed without purging the entire system. it's a cheap part from the dealer.

not 100% sure about the '94-'95's, but on the 89-93's it's screwed into the receiver dryer and can be removed without purging the entire system. it's a cheap part from the dealer.

Ford did make a High/Low pressure switch for the Grand Marquis.
Do not know what a 94-95 uses.

On my 90 the switch on the dryer is a LOW pressure switch.
(so if you are low on freon or if you have the typical leaky quick connect gaskets)
I you bypass a low pressure switch the compressor will not be lubed and eventually fail.

I added a High pressure switch to my 90 that turns off at 250psi.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64624&highlight=relocate

I have always been told one needs to pull a vacuum to add freon, so my guess is some of those kits are a rip off.

Ask the experts at http://www.autoacforum.com/

First of all we need some more information in order to help. Was the unit running when you read 100psi?
Does it cycle on and off?
Does is cool any?

If you read 100psi on the low side of a running system, stop the unit immediately, you have a potential bomb on your hands. If it read 100psi on a on stopped system ( car engine off ), then that is about right.

As mentioned before, gauges are your best investment for $40. That will tell you much and us what you have wrong and potentially thwart a potential life threatening hazard.

Give us some more to work with and some one will be more that willing to lend a hand.

Thanks for the replys guys. I had a friend check it with some gauges & found out it was a bad pressure switch. We used a jumper wire to determine the problem. Now it's working great. Used a thermometer & it was blowing air out at 40 degress.

Back