PROPOSED SCCoA RESTORATION FORUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

txsc

I have had the idea for an official Restoration forum on the SCCoA club site for several months, and have discussed the idea, off and on, with a few members privately. There seems to be an increasing interest in original cars, and restoration-related topics, and I feel that this new forum could benefit the general membership by grouping all restoration-related information in one easy-to-find place. I would like to propose my ideas for this forum, then get your feedback to try and discern: 1) Is there enough interest to sustain this type of forum? 2) What does the membership want to see included in this forum?

One important point: The moderators (George, etc.) have the final decision regarding whether this forum does or does not get added, and their decision will be respected. Obviously, the addition of any site content means more work for the moderators. This post is only for the purpose of “due diligence” regarding whether there is enough interest within the membership body to warrant a separate forum dedicated to the discussion of restoration-related topics. If there appears to be enough interest from the membership, this information will prove valuable to the moderators in making their decision to add the new forum.

This, as a starting point, are my ideas regarding how the Restoration forum can uphold the “preservation” part of the mission statement on the title page of the club web site:

1) Discuss and document restoration procedures for those wishing to duplicate the factory appearance and function of their SC.

2) Identify and share new sources for OEM, NOS and obsolete parts, and restoration services.

3) Allow those wanting to perform restoration work to easily access owners with “benchmark” or “reference” cars for assistance.

4) Discuss dates, equipment, etc, to determine when options/colors/part vendors were introduced and phased out.

5) Anything else of a restoration topic that the members feel is valuable.

This forum will be a place to go for information on how the cars were originally manufactured, and how to return them to original condition. One won’t need to be building a points-correct car to take part, or gain value. Modified car owners will find this forum useful for specific information if they want to keep a certain part of their car correct, or find out how to undo previous modification work. Many members upgrade the engine/drive line/suspension, but want a stock appearing interior, for example. This will not be a place to “run down” modified cars; there is more than one way to enjoy the Super Coupe, and “modified vs. restored” arguments help no one. Likewise, it’s not the place to discuss the merits of upgrades or modifications; there is already ample forum space to cover those topics.

What I'm trying to do here, is get ahead of the curve on preservation of the SC. I've seen the same evolution in the past in my association with musclecars. They too were undervalued for years, then suddenly increased in interest and value, catching many by surprise. By the time that happened, we were playing "catch up" regarding information, parts, etc. I hope to gain knowledge and preserve cars while they're still relatively plentiful and inexpensive. I want to document and preserve before a lot of the cars/parts/information is lost forever. Also, by treating the SC as deserving of respect and preservation, we can, to some extent, drive exposure and values.

So, let me know your thoughts on this. Would you like to see restoration topics discussed in one place? Do you think it would be a valuable addition?

JD

2) Identify and share new sources for OEM, NOS and obsolete parts, and restoration services.

I think it would be a nice addition.If for nothing else just for the above quote.

Jay

I am all for a section of the forum to discuss that type of information. I have spoken with JD about this in the recent past and he brought up the points he listed above.

Restoration can have several meanings to different people. One one end is Txsc, which is in search for someone who worked at Lorain during the assembly of his car in order to make sure grease pencil markings are correct for the way it came off the line (And also has compressed air from 1989 stashed away to fill his tires with, along with some from the state the car was delivered to (Was it MI??) to add to it to get the proper psi) and then there is myself who wants to appear stock, (not afraid to use non-Motorcraft parts/screws/bolts/regular compressed air from 2007 from Chesapeake, VA) I would like a place to discuss some things that I have had to PM JD to ask, and he usually has the answer, but I'm sure the information can be useful to someone else (I think our last discusson over PM had to do with the availabilty/appearance of the Motorcraft battery)

I'm for it. I would also hope it was placed in the General Forums. While it would be a good selling point for someone to join the site to gain access, many people with valuable information do not have paying memberships.

Here in VA the SC (1989) is a mere 7 years from being able to carry antique vehicle tags. Now is the time to start gathering information in one place that can be available in the near future when the SC market comes back around and someone "discovers" what we have known all along...

I'm also all for it. I will be restoring my red 90 SC and it's going to need little things like window moldings, and there are alot of little nitnoid things that I know I'll have questions about when it comes time to tear this car down and restore it. With that being said though, my SC does have mods already done to the car. The battery is in the trunkg, there is a cold air intake installed, an aftermarket deck, little things like that. I won't be changing these things back to original, but I also will not be modifying the engine or drivetrain either.
With the wealth of knowledge here for these cars, I think it would be fantastic to have a place to share all this knowledge. I'm all for it and it's a great idea!!!! ;)

I agree completely, the forum would assist in the individuals that really enjoy and love their SC for what it is and what it should be. Look at the Buick GN. Of course the performance doesnt compare but the SC has way more technology and is a better car IMHO.

People that really want to raise the value of the SC and awareness need to understand that Performance is not the key. Keeping the car fully original and restored is. Hopefully help and the interest this will happen.

Its ideas like this and the effort others are doing to try and make Carlilse better thats going to push everything into place I think. But thats just me.

Wouldn't it be beneficial to link the actual restoration of the AWD SC to this forum? As far as I know the purpose for that vehicle is to have it restored to its original SC state regardless of the AWD-specific modifications to it. Just a thought.

Good idea, I gotten away from doing the high performance mods anymore. Ive done one thats fine with me and runs great, but the last few Ive gotten I do plan on a complete original SC.
I'd like to see a forum added to the board for the above mentioned purposes for all to enjoy and take part in.

S

Excellent idea. I agree that we should do a separate forum in the members section for restoration info specifically.

cheers
Ed N.

I agree completely, the forum would assist in the individuals that really enjoy and love their SC for what it is and what it should be. Look at the Buick GN. Of course the performance doesnt compare but the SC has way more technology and is a better car IMHO.

People that really want to raise the value of the SC and awareness need to understand that Performance is not the key. Keeping the car fully original and restored is. Hopefully help and the interest this will happen.

Its ideas like this and the effort others are doing to try and make Carlilse better thats going to push everything into place I think. But thats just me.

I know alot of auto enthusiasts think the Grand National was the best modern muscle to ever roll out of Detroit, but I can attest from experience that car is nothing but one nightmae after after another. If y'all think a SC is labor and maintenance intense, park one of those black beasts in your garage for awhile. I owned one and that car danged near put me in bankruptcy court in about 6 months and that is no joke. The worst part was the car hadn't been abused or trashed either. I sunk almost $7k in that wonderbucket of bolts in 5month's time and that was just for mechanical issues.
My SC had always been dependable, never left me stranded and the car ran 100%. I am dying to get her back on the road so I can enjoy her again. I will take a SC over a Grand National any day of the week. There's a reason the GN's were painted black. They had nothing but dark clouds haning over them.

I'm a go for the idea. I am keeping mine stock on the interior and exterior as much as possible, just a little go inside. After all the looks are what caught my eye in 1989, when I was 9.

I think it's a great idea. Traffic should be lower, and I'd suggest assigning a moderator that'll stay on it tighter. I.e. general how do I replace my waterpump would be out of place there unless they are looking for a OEM looking water pump and want to replace the studs and bolts with new factory like hardware.

That way folks that really want to get that just off the factory floor look have a good resource to go to.

txsc, you already know my opinion.

I sent him a PM after looking over the work he's done to his SC's.

Over this Summer/Fall I hope to pull a low mile (63K) engine with nothing wrong (yet) and have it taken down to the HG and reassembled with upgraded components to last.

In the meantime I will be prepping a 91 SC engine bay (re-loom, clean, prep, etc...) for the engine install. While a lot of this is mechanical and I'm not a total stickler for total OEM, I know I could learn a lot form such a forum.

First challenge up:

Where can we find a new Engine Coolant plastic tank? I do not want to clean them, I just want a replacement.

First challenge up:

Where can we find a new Engine Coolant plastic tank? I do not want to clean them, I just want a replacement.

Some of the larger Ford dealerships may still have one or two on their shelves collecting dust. I found one at a local Ford dealer about 18 months ago for my 90 SC. I got it at a discount to boot as well just to get it off their shelf. I paid a measley $9.99 plus tax for the thing. :eek:

txsc, as i stated on the phone I would love to see this get going

I have alot to do with the inside and out, I kinda gave up on the engine and went aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back