So close to running!!

mywhite89

Well, its been 2 years since my car has been down and I am getting very close to attempting its first start-up. So many things have been upgraded, I know I am going to have 100 things to do when I actually get to that point.

I just wanted to name off the first couple snags that I've come up on so far and see what kinds of suggestions you all have.

First off, i've got my blower pulley on, and used an air ratchet to seat it. It doesn't seem like it will go on as far as it should. Is there an install tool to put these on? I have the blower belt on and the rear rib does not seat itself to the supercharger pulley properly, it sticks up. When I took the nut off, I can see that the pulley is not back as far as it can be. I didnt use any lubricant to help it slide on easier either, so I could always go back and try that if no other suggestions.

The next thing, I put coolant in the car today. I got it all the way full and here comes the first leak!!!! It was leaking from the thermostat housing. I was thinking, "geez I'm pretty sure I didn't forget to tighten that down." So, I checked them and they were indeed nice and tight. Well forget that gasket I guess, i'm gonna get some good rtv like what we use on the Duramax diesel engines at work. That stuff kicks butt. What gives here? Do these cars warp the housings or the intake manifolds? Either way I'm pretty sure my solution will work.

Both of these problems need to be fixed at the same time, get the housing out of the way and fix the pulley issue.

Other then that, hows everyone elses projects coming along?:)

Last edited:
thermostat leak

Well I just got my motor running after 3 months down, I imagine your a bit excited to get it going too!
I had exactly the same issue as yourself when I put the motor all together. Infact, I took that housing off twice to reseat the thermostat. No doubt what is happening is that the thermostat slips out of the notch in the housing and gets "pinched" between the housing and the intake manifold. Really, no amount of silicone will properly fix that much of a gap. What I did on my third try, was use that "red gasket tack" sprayed on to the thermostat housing to hold both, the gasket and the thermostat, in place while bolting it together. Hasn't leaked a drop since, and I know the thermostat is seated properly.
Art

sounds like the pulley is on backwards...is it a smaller pulley? if so you'll need to shave some of the snout off so it fits and turns properly

Well I just got my motor running after 3 months down, I imagine your a bit excited to get it going too!
I had exactly the same issue as yourself when I put the motor all together. Infact, I took that housing off twice to reseat the thermostat. No doubt what is happening is that the thermostat slips out of the notch in the housing and gets "pinched" between the housing and the intake manifold. Really, no amount of silicone will properly fix that much of a gap. What I did on my third try, was use that "red gasket tack" sprayed on to the thermostat housing to hold both, the gasket and the thermostat, in place while bolting it together. Hasn't leaked a drop since, and I know the thermostat is seated properly.
Art

Hmm I'll have to check that out

sounds like the pulley is on backwards...is it a smaller pulley? if so you'll need to shave some of the snout off so it fits and turns properly

Pulley is not on backwards, everything turns fine, it just seems to be a very tight fit onto the end shaft. It is the smaller aluminum pulley that spinning wheels sc sells. It's like a 9%.

The pulleys are press fit. Heating it in an oven around 200 for 20 minutes and it should slide right on. I had the same trouble with the tstat housing. They are easily warped if over tightened once. I took a hammer and dolly and knocked dowm the dimples or bent areas then ran it over a belt sander to get a flat surface. I also roughed up the intake a little also. Some copper RTV and no more leaks.

Last edited:
The pulleys are press fit. Heating it in an oven around 200 for 20 minutes and it should slide right on. I had the same trouble with the tstat housing. They are easily warped if over tightened once. I took a hammer and dolly and knocked dowm the dimples or bent areas then ran it over a belt sander to get a flat surface. I also roughed up the intake a little also. Some copper RTV and no more leaks.

Aluminum pulley will be ok in oven without any warping issues to the aluminum? Did you use a gasket at all on the thermostat or just rtv?

Back