Pulling a SC engine.... Any tips or suggestions would be great?!?!?!

SCUPERCHARGED

Hey guys I am gonna be pulling my 90 Thunderbird SC engine because I spun a rod bearing. I am purchasing a long block off of David Dalke. He's gonna refresh it and make sure its perfect.

I was wondering if this engine is a pretty straight foward pull. Any tips or suggestions that would make this an easier task? Any things that I should watch out for or be awear of? Any special tools that may be required?

Any suggestions or comments would be a great help. Thanks SCCOA!!!

pretty straight forward. Unbolt your bellhousing bolts, unhook all your fuel lines, i'd take the accesorry brackets off complete with accessories (ps pump, AC, etc). Be carefull with the electrical connectors, particularly your ground straps to the subframe/chassis and the knock sensos/o2 sensor harness on the passingers side. Youre going to have to work with the ABS pump and reservoir if you have an early style SC with the Teves Mark II system and youre trying to hook up the chain on the drivers side. Just be careful and unbolt the big thru bolts on tehmounts and pull the darned thing out!

You have to take your front cowl off. I would recommend taking the plastic piece under it off also on the passenger side. Makes everything in back that much easier to get to. Number every vaccum line that you take off. Inspect your engine mounts, if their more then 4 years old just replace them preventatively. take your time and have fun. After you get the blower and all of its components off, its a walk in the park.

I just did it two weeks ago, did it with hand tools and it took about 4 hours. Pulled the SC and plenums, took off the cowl, popped off the hood, took out the radiator, all standard stuff. Once it's disconnected from the motor mounts and bellhousing, it slides right out. If you want to take it out with the tranny that works too, it has a slip yoke.

Keep everything in order as you pull them off too!. . accesories, supercharger IC pipes, etc . . even take pictures! Makes the install soooooo much easier! . . . . . how many times do you rip apart something like a little radio and theres always that one extra screw. lol

The first time you do anything like this it always takes longer than it would if you had more of them to do.By the time you get the first one back together you're a pro ,but, you're done.
Just take your time and pay strict attention to details and label as much as you can.Even stupid things are hard to remember at reassembly time.
Good luck!:D

The power steering pump pulley has to be pulled to get the power steering pump/bracket off. You will need a ford PS pulley puller/instalation tool.

not even... that stud is simple to get at with a 13 (or is it 15?) mm socket, a swivel and an extension. two bolts, a stud and two cap nuts on the water pump and it comes right off. easy peasy.

Don't forget Sin, it has to go back on also. Buy a puller set.

You don't need to take off the cowl or the ABS stuff. (your preference)

Unbolt the engine mounts off the engine (3 ea side). Important when you reinstall the engine.

Unhook the lower oil pan wires from the bottom when you do the starter & exhaust.

One person can pull this engine easily in one day.

Danny

Doesn't matter how old it is. There's new people looking for information all the time. Older members tend to forget that and it makes searching for info harder, because some of it expires.

Last edited:
true, i am also looking at puling my engine this winter to replace vac lines, and clean everything! I have a small trans leak out of the radiator and also replace the mounts!! Was actually thinking of starting to look for this stuff, i see no problem reviving old threads and long as it's not about someones bad day or somethin

Motor

I've been working on my cars since 1968.............pulling the engine out of an S.C. has been the biggest pain I can remember. So many connections/hoses and no room to work.

Back