Clutch Issue...

91 XR7

This may of been asked and awnsered.. But knock it up to being tired and lazy :)

Okay, I knew the clutch on my car is going out, Sometimes slips when engaging into 2nd gear (Basiclly 1st engages at around 1/3 stroke down (normal), 2nd will engage with near the very top, 3rd to 5th weirdly, is the same as first..

BUT went on a road trip the other day, 9 hours and 400miles (give or take) Park the car when i get home, get out to it 14 hours later.. clutch pedal was hard to press.. pump it a couple of times, still hard.. Start the car to get it warmed up abit, and as i pump the clutch pedal, it got easier...
Get to where i was going, 5-6 hours later, once again, clutch pedal was hard to press for the first 2 strokes and became easier..

Really feels like it's the pressure plate thou.. But could it be the slave or master?? (OE ford items) ??

Clutch, master and slave cylinders have like 50-60,000 miles on them now.. and i amit, not all easy miles..

Thanks in advance..

like i said, i knew the clutch was about to go.. but i was hoping it'll last least untill the end of summer, when i finally decide if i was gonna pull the motor to redo it...

Hard clutch pedal means something is hanging up. Either the throw-out bearing on the input shaft, a broke spring in the pressure plate, or binding in the clutch pedal linkage or master cylinder piston.

It's hydraulic so if it's giving you a hard pedal imagine how stuck it is considering the force created.

quickest thing to do would be to bleed the clutch pedal and see if the inspection along with that doesn't shed some light on the matter.

Oddly enough it seems to be getting `better' Well least in Feel, But yah a Binding/hanging up? Feeling would more/less be what it may be.. It's a Feels the same as when it's not having issues (or say a week ago) but alot more stiffer/firmer

Today i didn't take it to work, got in, the Clutch pedal was firmish (I say maybe 10-15% firmer then normal) but after two strokes it was good to go.. THe first time it did it, it was like 50-60% (or more) firmer..

I hate the hassle one has to go through to get at the clutch on one of these cars:rolleyes:
Hence why i was hoping it'll last for abit longer.. Since then it'll be easy to change :D

Back