Exhaust manifold studs - Thread?

Mike8675309

anyone know what the thread is on the studs for the collector side of the exhaust manifolds? I need some new nuts. I'm guessing M10 x 1.5 but the sample manifolds I have to test with are worn out so I can't be sure.

Manifolds are bolted to the block already. I can't imagine how I'd get the studs out. Otherwise I'd try that. I didn't intend to be using the stock manifolds on this motor again, otherwise I would have kept hold of the old nuts to match them up so my planning hasn't gone quite well, as planned.

I could probably just throw some m10x1.5 nuts on there with an impact and it'll hold. They just won't come off as easy down the road, but next time they come off it'll be when the headers are ready.

My sons helped put the motor in this past weekend. I have tomorrow and wed off, so I hope to have it wired up and at least trying to start by Wed night. That's my oldest son. I like working with my kids on stuff. I can get all bitchy with them and they can't go anywhere else.

enginein.jpg

This is what the motor looked like in March.
CloserEngine.jpg

Last edited:
nice looking block and heads look clean to

the rockers ,what are they and ratio ,looks good though and are them the bee-hive type springs

dads don't get bitchy do they lol:)

good luck

cheers

Mike, M10 x 1.5 pitch is correct for those studs. N805455 S2 is the Ford hardware number, if you want to order the original style. N802356 S301 is the number for the nut to go on them.

cheers
Ed N.

Thanks. Ed. I'll see if my Ford Dealer has those nuts before I make a jaunt down to the hardware store.

Rockers are stud mount Scorpion,1.73 ratio and those are Comp Cams Beehive springs. I worked with Supercoupes Unlimited (aka Dave Dalke) on the entire engine package. Cam, Heads and Intake Manifold work were done by Dave. I put the block together in my basement this winter. (It was heavier to carry up and out, than it was carrying all the individual pieces down.)

And dads get very bitchy. I've learned that my oldest son and I simply don't think on the same wavelength. It's fine, it's just a difference in the person than me. So it was a challenge when I'm on one side of the car, and he is on the other, and the youngest son is on the jack handle and we're trying to get the fuel tank in. I'm trying to slide the pressure line onto the fuel tank and it's going hard so I have to push. So I tell the oldest... don't let the fuel tank move. Oh well, we got it on.

Part of the main issue is that when I was younger, I didn't mind being bored just sitting in the garage, watching dad, or step-dads working on stuff and handing them tools. We'd chat and I'd learn stuff, and every once and a while I'd get to turn a wrench, or work a jack or roll a tire. My kids just get bored too fast. They can't just sit there. Never could when they were younger, and now at 17 and 19, can't do it now. It's just a difference in personalities. vive la difference.

This is what it looked like coming out.
tightfitsmall.jpg

And dads get very bitchy. I've learned that my oldest son and I simply don't think on the same wavelength. It's fine, it's just a difference in the person than me. So it was a challenge when I'm on one side of the car, and he is on the other, and the youngest son is on the jack handle and we're trying to get the fuel tank in. I'm trying to slide the pressure line onto the fuel tank and it's going hard so I have to push. So I tell the oldest... don't let the fuel tank move. Oh well, we got it on.

Wow, I guess my Dad and Uncle are lucky. I'm the one that puts all the motors and cars together and then they will go drive it. I'm lucky if they stay in the garage five minutes before going back inside and on the computer or phone.

You have a 2.0 going on that right? I'm rootin for 450rwhp for Mike.

Looks like you got a little thirsty puttin that motor together.:)

Yeah my dad was lucky with me. Actually it's my dad that really taught me the attitude that has me doing this stuff. The thought that you can just take it apart and figure out how it works, then put it back together, and maybe make it better. That comes from him.

2.0 autorotor probably by next summer. For now it's gonna be a worn out old 90 vintage M90 that I'll use to break it in an drive the rest of this summer. Of course I've got a lot of other parts, so it's going to be a hodge podge until the better blower goes on.

I'll be overdriving the M90 a good 20% with a stock single intercooler. I've got the snow system, which will help on any track runs, but I'll keep the RPM's reasonable until I get the new blower. The engine was built to run at 6300rpm all day long but at a 20% overdrive on a stock M90, I better keep the crank RPM's reasonable.

Next year it will be the new blower, a new intercooler, and new exhaust. This year I'm gonna let the engine ride, and work on the chassis. I've got new shocks, new springs, and new control arms and bushings to go in yet just sitting on the shelf.

For now I'll get this running so I can drive it while I fix the ABS on the 90. I need to pull it's master cylinder and get the pump motor rebuilt. I'm gonna see if a local electric motor company can tackle it and save me some money on an entire rebuilt master cylinder.

Oh, and I can go through a case of Diet Dew in a weekend of working outside, easy. That stuff in the basement were boxes to be broken down from a birthday party.

Back