blower question

blownbird2

hey everybody is it posible for the blower to become less affective with age???.
im running 10% on an early m90 and im making 13psi but sometimes i feels like to just doesnt have it anymore the motor is rebiuld with only about 7k on it so i know its not that. is it just time for a new blower?

and what is the current weather like..... and what do u have for an IC setup. If its stock, I'd almost bet you'd get more consistent performance with just a 5% overdrive.

hey everybody is it posible for the blower to become less affective with age???.
im running 10% on an early m90 and im making 13psi but sometimes i feels like to just doesnt have it anymore the motor is rebiuld with only about 7k on it so i know its not that. is it just time for a new blower?

Blowers can wear out like anything else. The early M90 is the poorest M90 that came on the sc. That and running a 10% pulley on a inefficent blower will generat a lot of heat. Bad for performace. The computer will pull timing on the top end costing you a bunch of HP

Ken

is been about 60 at night and thats the only time i drive it alot well. im running a stock IC with a fan and a raised top. i still have the stock pulley would it be worth it to put it back on untill i get a better blower on IC?

is been about 60 at night and thats the only time i drive it alot well. im running a stock IC with a fan and a raised top. i still have the stock pulley would it be worth it to put it back on untill i get a better blower on IC?

The 10% is to much for a stock engine and Intercooler. I would put the stock pulley back on. If you want more boost go only up 5%. The raised top is likely not helping you our hurting you. Its just not needed untill you are making a lot more HP. The M90 needs low restriction on the intake side. Thats why a lot of guys op for a bigger TB & MAF. A good IC will cool the air and create less restriction. The cooler the air the more HP. If you havent done anything with your exhaust make that a prority. I lost a couple of lbs of boost with a freer exhaust but felt a large pick up in performace. Dont get caught up in the thinking more boost means more HP because it isnt always so.

Ken

im running a 73 maf and 70 tb and a full exhaust
i guess ill put the stock pulley back on for now and we'll see what happens
thank you very much for the help guys:)

well guys i put the stock pulley back on and i guess the blower is shot cause im barely making 9 psi. oh well... gotta start saving thanks again guys

Remember that you are running larger than stock T/B, MAF and exhaust. 9PSI is approximately what you should be getting (remember the stock boost gauge is not very accurate). I've got no resonator but stock cats, and turbo mufflers, and I've also opened up the intake ports on the heads as well as port matched the manifold and I make a little over 10 PSI at WOT around 3000 RPM's. If I go with hipo cats and exhaust I'd probably drop another 1 PSI at least.

As has been said, 10% OD on the stock IC is going to hurt you alot because of the temperature's involved. At least get a cooling fan on that and you should be better off.

There is other factors involved, such as maxing out on your injectors and you can't get enough fuel into the motor for the amount of air your pushing in. Everything has to be balanced, including getting the car "tuned" for the larger upgrades.

Either get an IC fan, or buy yourself a 5% for the blower... actually get a 5% jack shaft pully for now and once you have upgraded to a double IC or a front mount and bigger injectors you can look at the MPX and drive that sucker at 15% ;)... and get yourself a tune at the same time......

Last edited:
At least get a cooling fan on that and you should be better off.

he already has a fan on the IC. i think he needs either a DBL IC or an FMIC.

but until that happens, i agree on getting the 5%. when i put it on my stock 90, i got an extra 2 psi. and i felt it too.

when i had catless downtubes

no resonator, and magnaflow mufflers, a 3" intake, 76mm mafs, and stock TB, and 5% s/c pulley i was making 14psi all day and night, sometimes id peg the guage. i took that black sound dampening amterial out from under the hood, bought a fan, some watter wetter, and i never went over M, usually stayed in O. going 90...in 90* weather. while in boost.

its probably your sc. get a refresher kit on ebay, or buy the stuff yourself. gm sells the sc oil. two bottles are enough. youll have left over oil with two bottles. a new coupler, a new oil seal (why not...better to be careful) if your looking for some real gains, buy a 94/95 m90. a stock 89-93 pulley will create about 2-3psi on that blower, and you already have one.

im already running 38lb injectors an adjustable regulator and a 255 pump. the exhaust iv got stock manifolds in to down tubes high flow cats which i cleaned out so now their just there for looks. and a scp catback system
i know from the factory it should see about 12 but from what you guys tell me i guess 9psi is where im gunna be

Back