No boost...

ssDurango

I bought a used 89 xr7 charger and installed it in my propane s-10 chevy 3.4. I'm not getting any boost. There is a quiet rumbling coming from inside the supercharger and the inner walls look a little scored. Dos it need to be rebuilt and is it worth it??

Thanks,

Tom

Unless your coupler's broke, bypass is stuck open or your spinning it in the wrong direction its almost impossible to not build any pressure.

Please provide more information about your setup, pictures of the blower and setup would be good.

More info and pics...

It's turning the right way because I can feel it blow air when I turn it by hand.
I ran it without the bypass hooked up (vacuum line and main hose) - no boost
The coupler is ok
I took the SC apart and found some scoring on the housing. I included a pic.
I also included a pic an earlier mock-up.
My crank pulley is 6" and The sc pully is 3" (stock 89 xr7 pulley) Is that turning the sc fast enough?
I bypassed the intercooler.
Re checked the hose clamps.
Tested the boost guage.

I'm stumped!

Thanks again,
Tom

Attachments

• DSCF0236.JPG
    DSCF0236.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0237.JPG
    DSCF0237.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF0191.JPG
    DSCF0191.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 130
pipes...

The one on the right goes to the intercooler and the one on the bottom one comes from the intercooler.

Also there is an insanely loud whistle coming from the throttlebody/sc area.

thanks,
Tom

looks fine to me, you sure your bypass valve is closing when you step all the way on the gas?

I agree with tickler, is the vacuum line on running between the bypass diapham and inlet plenum? if not it's not closing the butterfly valve and allowing the air to go directly to the intake manifold without going through the sc.

Your Throtle body isnt in loop with the IC is it? Unsure how your piping is. Seems that yes your bypass may be leaking boost and to an extent you may not be spinning blower fast enough however I'd think a 6 inch pulley should be fine.

Check out that by pass and if anything just close it off and see how you do.

I removed the bypass completely and still no boost. It's whistling extremely loud, almost sounds like a smoke detector it's so loud and high pitched! (at idle or reved)

What do think of the scoring on the housing?

Thanks

The whistling sounds like it could be a bad vacuum leak. Mine made that kind of sound when the top wasn't sealed good.

Back