question?

marrart

94 5 speed, and from a cold start, the car runs great. after it has warmed up, when im driving and want to give it increased accelaration, the car will cough and choke unless i ease onto the gas. or, even when i take a corner in fouth and should be in third, it coughs under a load. it only does this when the car has been driven after a few minutes and never after a cold start. when im under the hood, and give it full throttle, its fine with plenty of power. i thought it was plugs but now im leaning toward my dis module. any agreement on the cause? i would like to pinpoint the problem instead of trial and error troubleshooting. wish i had more info to pass on. thanks and happy 4th to all. god bless the u.s.a.

its strickly stock. no mods. as long as i never step on it and ease my throttle, it will never cough. im on vacation in 2 weeks and ill be doing a tune up, plugs, wires, ect but i hadnt planned on any modules.

Before you go any further, do that tune up your planning first. Make sure while your at it, you throw in a new fuel filter. Also clean the MAF wires VERY carefully. There is a few threads out there on how to do that.

I had a problem just like this in my 94. No codes and cold fuel pressure was fine but when it got warm under load she bucked like a bucking bronco. I changed out the fuel pump and never had another problem like that. I would how ever do the wires, plugs and fuel filter first and if it is still bucking then fuel pump. Make sure she is not throwing any codes. Have yet to see a DIS go out on a 94-95. Lots of money on a gamble.

the reason im leaning toward the dis and not a fuel issue like the filter is that the filter will be sludgy hot or cold and remember, this is a hot issue after the car has been driven and everything has had a chance to heat up. thats why i was thinking dis, bap sensor, mass air flow, maybe even the iac valve. the key here is the engine has to be hot! art

the reason im leaning toward the dis and not a fuel issue like the filter is that the filter will be sludgy hot or cold and remember, this is a hot issue after the car has been driven and everything has had a chance to heat up. thats why i was thinking dis, bap sensor, mass air flow, maybe even the iac valve. the key here is the engine has to be hot! art

Remember though that the car is running rich when its cold. Think choke system here. It could be enough to smooth things out till you come out of cold strategy.

The DIS in the '94/95 cars from my understanding rarely if ever go because they are located on the fender instead of the accessory bracket so they dont' get so much heat.

got out the code reader, obd-1 and got 2 codes on the wide open throttlethe first time----code 129 insufficiant mass air flow(maf) change during accelaration, and 177----t.p.s. then to double check, i did it again after clearing everything and i got a 538---insufficiant rpm chang during dynamic test. had alot of condesate out of both exhaust pipes back there. probably from something not being correct. oh, what to do? maybe ill go to autozone tommorow and have them check my codes also. art

got out the code reader, obd-1 and got 2 codes on the wide open throttlethe first time----code 129 insufficiant mass air flow(maf) change during accelaration, and 177----t.p.s. then to double check, i did it again after clearing everything and i got a 538---insufficiant rpm chang during dynamic test. had alot of condesate out of both exhaust pipes back there. probably from something not being correct. oh, what to do? maybe ill go to autozone tommorow and have them check my codes also. art

Drive it around for about 20 minutes and see if the first two codes come back.

AJ, I have never had a TPS effect acceleration. Idle yes...Regardless the TPS voltage range can be tested pretty easily and brought into the correct range pretty easily as well. I am sure it is documented on here somewhere...Would save me typing it out...heh

Marrart
Anyways...IMO Forget about the DIS for now, I hate to sound like a broken record here as I have already recomended Plugs and wires once today, but I think it best describes your problem. There is no specific code for a intermitten Plug/wire issue.

I had a Plug & Wire issue a long time ago...All new quality hardware installed by myslef and the car ran like crap afterwards. I just KNEW that I had installed everything spot on. After the third time of installing my plug wires the issue cleared up. That was in my SC Rookie days...haha

AJ...Call me

Brad

Brad I have had a TPS go out on me twice but only affect accelleration once. It had develolped a dead spot and the voltage would drop when it got to about 3/4 throttle. Once it was replaced the problem went away. Could be a few possibilities of what the problem is. I have had the same happen to me with new wires and plugs, I put them on correctly but finally the second set of wires fixed it. I give you a call in a few hope those new wheels are available in 5 x 108.

Back