Clicking noise...Need Help

SilverBullitt

I had just picked up my car from vegas on Saturday and Drove it back...I had Dallas Mustang Dyno Tune the car Monday...on the final run, after he let off the gas I heard I tapping or clicking noise...possible lifter or rocker? Well, the guy at Dallas Mustang told me to give it hell to see if it would fix itself ( i did not do that because I am not stupid). The car shudders when giving it gas and makes the tapping nosie but at higher rpms it goes away...but in 5th gear the car shakes when you accelerate. I have parked the car and tore it down and when I turn the crank, the lifter rise fine, the pushrods don't look bent but I will remove them ro check. Also the rockers seem fine and when I turn the motor over with a wrench, everything works as it should...any ideas?

Here is a link to the car...http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86029

I dont know if it is that...I am pulling all of the rockers, lifters, and pushrods to check for a bent pushrod or possibly a collapsed lifter. It definately sounds like the upper valvetrain but I will know for sure very soon.

Everything looks fine on the motors valvetrain from what I can see...the pushrods are straight, the lifters are fine and the rockers are perfect...the motor has less than 10,000 miles on it being completely rebuilt. all the valve springs are fine as well. Any other possibilities? Also the car feels like it is missing.

Could be a lot of things...bad lifter, loose rocker, loose rocker stud, bent rocker stud, poorly alligned pushrod guides, damaged cam, broken lifter retainer ect..ect..

I'd start by resetting all the rockers and set them on the tight side (3/4) turn after contact with pushrod. If ticking goes away as RPMs increase, it's probably just an adjustment thing.

David

PS: How much power did it make on the dyno when it was tuned ?

well I am starting to see a little white smoke from the passenger side of the motor and from the pipes...I think it might be a headgasket :confused: Would a leaking headgasket cause my symptoms?

what would you recomend for headgaskets on this car? Where can I get them? Can I reuse my arp headstuds or do I need new ones? Also where can I get a new intake gaskets set?

It made 368 HP on the dyno and 415 trq but I think I know why the gaskets went...they turned off the safety setting on the eec that removes timing when there is detonation...he did this to squeeze out all possible power...I bet when he did this there was so much detonation that he did not see that this ate away at the head gasket.

what would you recomend for headgaskets on this car? Where can I get them? Can I reuse my arp headstuds or do I need new ones? Also where can I get a new intake gaskets set?

Fel-Pro COATED MLS, They are late model 3.8 Mustang gaskets.
forgot exact year!
Fel-pro ask that the heads and block have a surface finish of R-6.
left hand 9262PT
right hand 9263PT

Yes you can reuse ARP headstuds.

You can buy the intake gaskets at most part store, without
buying complete upper gaset set. I got my last intake gaskets
from Auto Zone. If you want to buy from on line. I have had
good luck buying from www.rockauto.com

Randy

Last edited:
Back