1992 SC timing?

21racingteam

what should the timing be set at and how do you do it currently i am at 21 BTC it just doesnt sound right to me. and when i start the car it idles rough then smoothes right out.

if it idles properly and doesnt ping or detonate while under boost/heavy acceleration you dont have a timing issue. 21 btdc soudns about right if i remember correctly just do a search on timing i know its been talked about many times

it has and idle problem. if you put it in neutral it idles properly at about 8-900 when you put it in gear it will drop to about 400 and try to quit. i had it put on a modus scanner and it pulled code 19 which detected dis i changed that so i was thinking to try a cam sensor tommorow. i just thought that timing was way off. thanks

Usually if you have a drop in idle like that and the car doesn't respond by bringing it back up, then I would lean more to the IAC being the problem.

I don't know what your IAC looks like, but there is no screws period on the IAC on my car as well as what was on the 2 other parts cars I've had :eek: .

your tb should have a little grommit on top of the throttle body remove that and theres a little allen screw that adjusts how much air goes to the IAC. I might be totally off tho because I haven't seen a stock sc tb in a while.

Stock TB's don't have this option. The only adjustment screw is the one for the throttle plate, and if that needs to be adjusted beyond what is below to set your idle up then you have a problem with the IAC. (For a '90 SC BTW)

IDLE SPEED

1. Place automatic transmission in PARK.
2. Engine OFF, back out throttle plate stop screw clear off the throttle lever pad.
3. With a .010 in. feeler gauge between the throttle plate stop screw and throttle lever pad turn the screw in until contact is made then turn it an additional 1.5 turns.
4. Start engine and stabilize for 2 minutes then goose the engine and let it return to idle, lightly depress and release the accelerator and let engine idle.
5. If idle problem still exists check for other possible causes.

Stock TB's don't have this option. The only adjustment screw is the one for the throttle plate, and if that needs to be adjusted beyond what is below to set your idle up then you have a problem with the IAC. (For a '90 SC BTW)

IDLE SPEED

1. Place automatic transmission in PARK.
2. Engine OFF, back out throttle plate stop screw clear off the throttle lever pad.
3. With a .010 in. feeler gauge between the throttle plate stop screw and throttle lever pad turn the screw in until contact is made then turn it an additional 1.5 turns.
4. Start engine and stabilize for 2 minutes then goose the engine and let it return to idle, lightly depress and release the accelerator and let engine idle.
5. If idle problem still exists check for other possible causes.

thats interesting because my 95GT throttle body which is supposed to be 100% the same as an SC tb minus the linkage and it has the air bypass screw for the IAC

Back