my car, recently deceased

meatball

alright. So got a 93 SC last year at 127K for a decent price, auto, full options, just 2 dings, otherwise paint is perfect, body is in excellent condition. However, Now at 143K its thrown a rod unfortunately. So Im thinking about what Im gonna do about, being short on cash. Someone threw this idea at me. If Im going to replace the engine, why not a 5.4 block with 3V heads because its the same block and would bolt right up right? And with the 3V heads its good to 20 psi boost?

Anyone done this before? And if so what needs to be done. Really bummed that my car went to ~~~~, low cash fixes are right up my alley being as it is Im taking loans out for college. However, if its almost the same price for lots better power, Ill do it in a heartbeat too.

so thats a no to the 5.4 block? What about the tranny? Is it worth it to keep this car? Im worried the tranny will go right when I put money into a new engine. Where could I get it redone and about how much would it run? I would like to have a car to drive again :(

Couple things ...
5.4 block is tall, but it has been done.

3 Valve heads .. you mean the NEW ones with the Variable valve timing ??? You're going to need the computer + wiring from a new Mustang, as well as the Gauge Cluster, and maybe a few other things ... I considered picking up a new 4.6 3V engine, but the price tag kept getting more expensive. There is one person who has done it in a Tbird, I think they posted at Modular depot.

Your Tranny ? The AOD ? Will only bolt up to an older engine, not the 4.6 or 5.4 .. so if you get a new Modular engine, you'll need a new transmission also. You could get a 5.0, or rebuild your SC engine. If you get something new, you'll want a new wire harness, EEC, maybe some other things ...

- Dan

Back