Air Conditioning

Flex

Hey Dudes,

My AC compressor isn't coming on. I will check the manual but does anyone have any thoughts? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Dudes,

My AC compressor isn't coming on. I will check the manual but does anyone have any thoughts? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

It's likely that your system just needs a refrigerant and oil recharge. There’s a way to bypass the pressure switch and make the compressor come on for testing the system. Also you need to figure out which type of refrigerant you system was charged with. Please post the year of you Super Coupe and if you know if your system was converted from r12 to the new refrigerant.

Year of the car is 1991. I don't know if the former owner had it recharged.

There is a parts dealer here that sells a new product called Redtek 12A. Supposed to be a retro refill that runs colder than R12 and has no need for seal upgrade etc and can be substituted for both R12 and R134A.

I couldn't remember if the compressor would kick on if the refrigerant was low.

Update, still have problems.

I tried adding a container of the new refrigerant. Refrigerant started to draw in then stopped. Container would not empty and actually got hot to the touch?????. Worked perfectly on another car that we did first.

The AC compressor clutch will not fully engage by itself. If you hit it it will engage but will not draw in any stop leak, dye or refrigerant. When it first engaged, it made a lot of rasping noise from the compressor and later quieted down.

Have not had AC since I bought the car. I bought it, drove it for 5 months and had an accident. It sat garaged for years until I had time to put the new parts on it. Could the AC compressor be damaged from sitting etc ?

Back