recovery tank

ThunderDave

Is an oily residue in the coolant recovery tank always a bad thing? The oil looks good and the coolant looks good. I'm thinking it's from a previous incident when someone else had a problem and I haven't noticed it till now.

I clean out the tank and put it back on. I guess if there is a problem, I'll know soon enough. :(

not neccessarily, it could be stop leak residue....

but if its not that then you have an oil leak into the coolant system or vise versa

not neccessarily, it could be stop leak residue....

but if its not that then you have an oil leak into the coolant system or vise versa

I have used some of the Bars Stop Leak that is about that color. I might add that it did stop the leak. Hopefully, that's all it is.

Thanks Keith. I hadn't thought about that.

yea no problem, i've worked on alot of gm's and they put it in from the factory or have you put it in for a TSB at the dealership

It is probably the Stop Leak.....

It was put in the red 89 that I got from Raleigh and it did the same thing.....

It is probably the Stop Leak.....

It was put in the red 89 that I got from Raleigh and it did the same thing.....

Yeah, I'm thinking that's what it was too, since Keith mentioned it. The oil and coolant both look fine and it still runs great. It did have me a little worried at first though. :rolleyes:

I went by Radio Shack and got the Artic Silver......

$11.00 bucks for that small tube od silver goo......:eek:

You're right, it was just enough to do one DIS module......:D

I went by Radio Shack and got the Artic Silver......

$11.00 bucks for that small tube od silver goo......:eek:

You're right, it was just enough to do one DIS module......:D

I don't know what any of this has to do with recovery tanks :rolleyes: but none the less, my temp gauge has been reading lower and lower. It barely makes it to the N and doesn't go past it.

Could it be the sending unit is going bad? Fan still comes on and all, the gauge just isn't showing it as being as hot. Might be worth changing out just to see if it is bad.

Hold on, my temp gauge doesn't work at all, the wire on the sending unit was cut, i can fix it, just too lazy, so does this make it to where my fan won't kick on?

Hold on, my temp gauge doesn't work at all, the wire on the sending unit was cut, i can fix it, just too lazy, so does this make it to where my fan won't kick on?

Fan and gauge use different sensors, so it doesn't matter if your wire for the gauge is cut.

David

Sorry about that.....

Guess I should have sent a PM.....:p

Have you checked the connection to the sending unit.....

Back