so did the alternater fry my wiring,or is it working to hard...

92sclikenew

well i got a good used alternator off a guy on this site.

so i put it on worked great for about 5 days.. then next thing i know the battery light was coming on. so i was like wth the alternator is no good now..

so i was like i guess ill put the old one on.. because that one would charge but the bat light was on all the time????.

but this is my question to you guys..

the main power wire to the alternator is fried the end of it is all melted and the stud that go's on is all burnt up and the plastic around it is mostly melted...

so is my alternator working to hard and melted the wiring or is it possible that its bad and burnt the wiring up..

heres a few pics also
and sorry about the crap pics my cam takes bad pics when the batterys are like dead.

Attachments

• DSCF1521.JPG
    DSCF1521.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF1520.JPG
    DSCF1520.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Did you charge the battery before you put the new alternator on?
If it was seriously discharged, the new alternator, working too hard constantly, could have done exactly what you see in the pics, and probably fried the alternator to boot.

Nick

That first pic as bad as it is, looks like a short. The way the metal melted. I can tell from the shiny spots in the picture. :)

Was the insulation melted as well?

Another thing is if the battery is bad, IE bad cells, the alternator has to work extra hard too. It will try and try to get it charged but can't quite get it. And do make sure the connections to the battery posts are ood and tight and clean. Seen too much corrosion lately.

thanks for the responds guys the wireing insulation wasnt melted but the boot that go's around it all was melted and i dont think i have a short but then again how did it melt...

but i fixed it up and put it back together and it seems fine guess ill see after a few days again...

also dont forget i just put this alternator on like 5 days ago so i cleaned that up with a wire brush

That first pic as bad as it is, looks like a short. The way the metal melted. I can tell from the shiny spots in the picture. :)

Was the insulation melted as well?

Another thing is if the battery is bad, IE bad cells, the alternator has to work extra hard too. It will try and try to get it charged but can't quite get it. And do make sure the connections to the battery posts are ood and tight and clean. Seen too much corrosion lately.

Back