Cleaning Inside of Recovery tank

THE BIRDMAN

What can be used to clean the inside of the radiator overlfow tank.I have some residue inside of mine and would just llike to get it all nice and cleaned up.But am unsure of what to use to do it.

Jay

What can be used to clean the inside of the radiator overlfow tank.I have some residue inside of mine and would just llike to get it all nice and cleaned up.But am unsure of what to use to do it.

Jay

your can really use whatever you want long as you clean it out good b4 reusing it... i would say like brake cleaner,or somthing with in that would work for you...

yea ive heard just about anything and everything.......different chemicals, small rocks with sand....shake rigoriuosly, most things will work, but yea make sure its washed out over and over.

If your overflow bottle is like mine a lot of it is stained. You could use brake cleaner, clean it out, then bleach it. But if you really want a clean one, a new bottle is only like $5 at a parts store. Other than that I'd just as soon douse it with brake cleaner, clear it out, and bleach out the stains, but make sure it is absolutely clean of all chemicals before you put it back in!

I made up a simple device from a wire coathanger and a shop towel. Cut the coathanger to a suitable length. Scrunch up a shop towel into a strip and bend one end of the coathanger around the center of it. Fold the other end of the coathanger over so that a drill chuck can get ahold of it. Chuck up your "flex-shaft" swab you just created, and run it down inside the reservoir with a soap solution or Simple Green. Control the RPM's so it doesn't get carried away, and swab out the reservoir. Reverse your drill sevaral times to help get into the corners. With a little maneuvering, it will come out clean. This is what I did with mine, and it looks practically new.

I would avoid petroleum-based solvents on the tank; its made from polypropylene (PP), and can become brittle.

Good Luck,

JD

I made up a simple device from a wire coathanger and a shop towel. Cut the coathanger to a suitable length. Scrunch up a shop towel into a strip and bend one end of the coathanger around the center of it. Fold the other end of the coathanger over so that a drill chuck can get ahold of it. Chuck up your "flex-shaft" swab you just created, and run it down inside the reservoir with a soap solution or Simple Green. Control the RPM's so it doesn't get carried away, and swab out the reservoir. Reverse your drill sevaral times to help get into the corners. With a little maneuvering, it will come out clean. This is what I did with mine, and it looks practically new.

I would avoid petroleum-based solvents on the tank; its made from polypropylene (PP), and can become brittle.

Good Luck,

JD

Thanks for the tip I'll have to give that a try.Especially since the engine compartments on your cars look like new.Wish I had the patience to detail mine like that LOL.

Jay

bottle

First after removing it from the car............I plugged the hose and poured in some simple green to get most of the crap loose. Dump it out and use an air hose or water to flush out the bottle.

First after removing it from the car............I plugged the hose and poured in some simple green to get most of the crap loose. Dump it out and use an air hose or water to flush out the bottle.

Agreed... That worked with my white car with no other efforts. My titanium driver, and my XR-7 required the "flex-shaft" rag cleaner. Depends on the degree of "crud" one has.

JD

Thanks for all the recommendations guys.Its not that bad but I'm trying to detail my engine and engine compartment so I figured I'g clean up the overflow while I was at it.

Jay

Back