car having problems starting

wingzeroac195

SCCoA Member
ok let's see my 1993 SC is not working right, it takes a while to start, like if it does not have fuel, so I thought the fuel filter was clogged and I replace it, but now whyen I try to start it, a lot of black smoke comes out of the pipes, and the car is trying to start, when finally it does start the black smoke dissappear, I started to drive and when I was around 50mph the rpm drop and the car did a abrupt slow down, and all lights including the up shift when on, and then the car stalls, then the process is all over again. my tachometer is not working either good. when the car starts everything is fine, but if I'm not lucky it will do that, I do not have any idea, the check engine light does not come up unless the tachometer is not working, besides that I do not know, any help please:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

.....tach not working usually means a cam sensor problem,check your wires around the sensor,sometimes they get loose or burned..or the sensor could be bad....does the upshift light stay on while you're attempting to start the car?If so,you have crank sensor problem.....too bad you can't get the car here to the southside...lot's of SC owners over here.
z

I agree with Rick. Sounds like the cam sensor. The black smoke means it's getting too much fuel. Have you checked for codes?

no I have not check for codes, but the other day I tried to start it and I tap the can sensor with a wrench and the car started and the tach was working. no the up shift light does not come on when I try to start it

Back