Intermittent problem - Climate Control blower fan

kendall221

:confused: I've got an intermittent problem with the a/c blower on my '95. Periodically, when you turn on the A/C, the blower fan does not come on even though I can hear the A/C compressor start...(and it acts the same whether in the Auto mode or manual fan speed mode. If I jar the glove box area by smacking it with my hand, the blower will start and run as long as the car is running. Also, sometimes if you go over a bump in the road will cause it to start. Once you stop the car, it may or may not restart the next time.

I previously thought I had this fixed by replacing the blower fan motor. It still had the original blower motor, so I figured it was a problem with the brushes in the motor. I replaced the motor a couple months ago, and it's worked fine up until the past couple days, when it hasn't wanted to work again. I have also switched out the electronic climate control module (just above the radio) with one that I had picked up on Ebay, but that didn't have any change.

I haven't looked at a wiring diagram yet, but is there a relay or other module that I need to be checking? Based on the fact that it starts when I beat in the area, I figure that it has to be something in the vacinity of the blower motor.

Thanks in advance for the help.

David

Check the blower motor speed controler. It's the black rectangular box located next to the blower motor.

I think it's fixed.....

:) Thanks for the response and link Doodaa!!!! The pictures for the Mark VIII are just about identical to the Tbird. I just finished up, and right now, I'm about 90% sure it was the connection at the blower like your link says. The positive connector on the wire at the blower was kinda discolored like it had been arching. Only time will tell if it actually fixes the problem, but so far, so good!!!

Thanks again!

David

I had the same problem on my 94 Tbird. It was the wiring harness to the fan. Same as yours-Discolored. Replaced it and have not had a problem since. :D

Tony
70 Mustang
89 Cougar XR7 (Found in field-Now running-needs Int. In work)
90 Tbird SC (needs paint)
91 Tbird 5.0L (Still waiting eng rebuild)
94 Tbird LX (Soon to be Girlfriends car)
94 Tbird LX (Daily driver)
95 Tbird LX 4.6L (Girlfriends car-Soon to be parts car)

The pigtail was still available new from Ford for the Marks a year or so ago.... Might want to check with your favorite parts guy to see if there are any left if you doubt the one that's there or you want a spare. I can say for sure it'll quit on the hottest day of the year next time. ;)

arent 94-95's fun?

i had the same problem it would kill the alternetor every summer and ive only have the car for 3 summers so i disconnected the fan motor with the wire that everyone discribes and haven't had problems either

cody

Back