Brake Rotor Recommendations

jpetillo

I have a bone stock '89 SC with a tic over 100K miles on it.

My front rotors need to be changed along with the pads, and probably the rears as well. I'm not looking to spend more than I need to, but something nice for a little more than stock replacement is of interest.

Any suggestions for rotor and pads other than taking a ride to NAPA?

Thanks, John

Before I did the brake upgrade on my 91 I had stock replacement rotors and Performance Friction pads there a carbon metallic pad.You can get them from auto zone.My local a/z had the fronts in stock and had to order the rears if I remember right I think it was like 100 or 120 for the whole set of pads front and rear.The pads gave a noticable improvement over the stock ones.

Jay

I know the car quest here gets the Raybestos products, and they offer two lines (or more). I got the more expensive rotors because they had more meat on them than the cheapies, which will handle the heat alot better.

I got brake fade with the cheapies, but I haven't encountered that with the better line. They also have slotted rotors available which I'll be trying out soon as I've been hearing great things about those from the Ambulance and Police folks around here.

i was going to get slotted rotors for my crown vic a while back but after doing some research i quickly found out that they reduce the brake area and are more prone to cracking, all four on my friends gs-t cracked and also two cracked on my other friend z28... just my 2 cents

Thanks for the tips and opinions - they are much appreciated. I'll check into those options.

Regards, John

I'm using the OC motorsports cross drilled and slotted rotors for about 2 years now. They're the first set of rotors that I've had go 2 years for me without warping like tacos. No cracks or any other problems. The only thing that sucks is when you get them turned, you need to bring them to a brake shop that can turn drilled and slotted rotors. It costs a few bucks more. Just don't go too cheap because these are heavy, ill equipped cars for braking and cheap rotors warp within 3 months depending on how you drive.

If you want dimpled and slotted rotors you can get them from brakeperformance.com fairly cheap and them come zinc coated in silver,black or yellow.Plus they have a lifetime warranty against cracking or warping.Mine in the cobra brake sizes for all 4 was 2 bills.

Jay

I purchased SP Performance Rotors for my Durango a few years ago. They are still going strong.

That prompted me to push Victor to check into them for the SC. He started carrying the SP Performance rotors for our cars at www.spinningwheels-sc.com and I bought a set from him for my 93. I'll be running them this summer.

I stuck with the slotted rotors. No point to cross drilling them.

If you want dimpled and slotted rotors you can get them from brakeperformance.com fairly cheap and them come zinc coated in silver,black or yellow.Plus they have a lifetime warranty against cracking or warping.Mine in the cobra brake sizes for all 4 was 2 bills.
Jay
For an '89 SC brakeperformance.com is looking for ~$340 for all 4 rotors - dimpled & slotted. Did you get plain rotors or am I possibly looking at the wrong parts? Thanks.

Otherwise, I'm waiting for a quote back from www.spinningwheels-sc.com.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

For an '89 SC brakeperformance.com is looking for ~$340 for all 4 rotors - dimpled & slotted. Did you get plain rotors or am I possibly looking at the wrong parts? Thanks.

Otherwise, I'm waiting for a quote back from www.spinningwheels-sc.com.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

My bad I had a brain fart I looked at my receipt it was 380 for all 4.Don't know how I remembered 2 bills.I've bought so much stuff for my car recently I must have been thinking of the price for something else I bought.They are nice looking though plus they were the only place I seen that offer a lifetime war. against cracking and warping.Which means you shouldn't ever have to buy another set of rotors.Once again sorry for giving the wrong price before.

Jay

My bad I had a brain fart I looked at my receipt it was 380 for all 4.Don't know how I remembered 2 bills.I've bought so much stuff for my car recently I must have been thinking of the price for something else I bought.They are nice looking though plus they were the only place I seen that offer a lifetime war. against cracking and warping.Which means you shouldn't ever have to buy another set of rotors.Once again sorry for giving the wrong price before.
Jay
No Problem at all. I believed that the $340 price was probably about right for that quality rotor, but I was hoping for a miracle. Regards!

If you are doing a brake job and looking to spend this kind of money I would suggest you go for 91 and above front hub assemblies at the same time (and buy 91 rotors too). The reason being is you can purchase 91 and up front hubs with the ABS Sensor rings for around $60.00 a side. You are going to spend over $200.00 a side for a 89 or 90 hub assembly though. I would imagine an 89 is going to need hub assemblies sometime soon. The only difference between the hub assemblies is the size of the hole in the center of the rotor and the corresponding raised ridge on the hub assembly. The reason for the cost difference is in 89-90 only the SC's had ABS. In 91 it became an option and later standard for all MN12's. Larger volume...less cost.

Has anyone found stainless rotors for the SC's?

I'm not looking to break the bank, but the problem I have is that the car sits for too long in the winter, the rotors rust, and the brakes never get back to feeling good once the rust jams up under the pads. This seems to be a problem more with the fronts than the rear.

So, I'm looking for a solution to that. It doesn't have to be stainless, but something that helps the problem. Maybe some brands are better than others. I believe that the front rotors are stock Ford, but I know they've been changed under warranty due to warping.

This is a stock '89 SC with 107K miles.

Perhaps slotted rotors would help the rust scrape away.

Thanks!

I gave up on all the expensive, drilled, slotted or even cadmium coated rotors - they all warped over time, even with very carefull break-in. So I just use the cheapo ones from Advanced Auto, called "Wearever" brand and paint the hubs & circumference/edge with an epoxy spray paint. They look good for quite a while.

Back