Fuel problem? Sensor problem...?

rad_al_

I was driving back from Ohio to Indiana today. 3 hrs into my trip my car dies just west of Cincinnati. It felt similar to when I had a boost leak when my IC tube was loose but this time it completely died (boost leak would atleast idle). It just felt like it wasn't getting gas. I'd pump the gas a little but I couldn't keep it idling. 10 minutes later it finally fired back up & I made it 2 miles down the road until it did it again. 20 miuntes later it fires & I made it 64 miles. This happened 4 or 5 more times. Someone mentioned a coolant temp sensor is going out. Another said it sounds like a fuel pump or fuel filter. Finally I made it through Louisville, KY & It died again. Do you know how hot it was on the side of I-64 at 5pm during rush hour????? I was laying on the side of the freeway changing out the fuel filter. After that, it fired up & I made it the rest of the way home (approx 150 miles). Can a fuel filter cause that much problem or does it sound like I got lucky to have made it home? The old fuel filter probably had 20,000 miles on it.

IF your car is an earlier style with the DIS module sitting just behind the a/c compressor, you might want to get some artic silver or something similar from a computer store and take the DIS off and reseat it with fresh compound.

Clean very good, then put a thin coat on. Do NOT use dieletric grease.

Could be the Crank Sensor

You're probably into intermittent failure now. Next time it fails to start, look for the Upshift Light to go out while cranking. I was driving home from work last year about this time. Car was running great and then just quit running, just like the ignition had been turned off. I coasted over to the shoulder, tried to restart a couple of times and the Upshift Light stayed on. After letting out a stream of profanity, I tried again, the light went out and the car started. I got about a mile down the road and it quit again. It restarted the forth time (after more profanity) and I made it the 45 or so miles home. I changed out the sensor the next day and no problems for 25K+ miles (so far).

Last edited:
Back