Mechanical oil pressure hook up

kenewagner

I dont how everyone actually hooks up a line for their oil pressure gauges. I decided to drill a hole opposite the oil idiot gauge sensor and tap it. I have a small 90 degree compression fitting that treads into the hole. I am sending it off to the chromers along with some other parts to get the bling treatment. I have a oil gauge I borrowed from my dad as a temporay gauge untill I decide where I am installing new gauges. What size lines are most aftermarket oil pressure gauges? 1/8" or 1/4" The gauge I have as a temp has a 1/8" line.

Where did some of you guys tap into the oil supply? Show some pictures

Ken

Attachments

• oil sender fitting.jpg
    oil sender fitting.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 91
I didn't think to do it that way, I just used a close nipple, a tee and a street 90° to get two ports. Have you verified you will be able to screw everything together without interference? There was a very specific order I had to install the fittings or else they would not be able to be installed. Of course I installed mine while the engine and all of the accessories were still in the car.

100_0872-large.jpg

FWIW, I used -4AN braided stainless steel lines for my gauge install.

I didn't think to do it that way, I just used a close nipple, a tee and a street 90° to get two ports. Have you verified you will be able to screw everything together without interference? There was a very specific order I had to install the fittings or else they would not be able to be installed. Of course I installed mine while the engine and all of the accessories were still in the car.

100_0872-large.jpg

FWIW, I used -4AN braided stainless steel lines for my gauge install.

I will have to screw the sending fitting into the block and than install the line fitting. It should work. I am looking at redoing the cluster with white face gauges including a working oil pressure and 0-30lb boost.

This is how I went through the firewall:
100_0894-large.jpg

I purchase a 3' and 4' premade braided stainless hose (made specifically for gauges) and ran one of them between the bulkhead fitting and the sensor fitting, the other one between the bulkhead fitting and the gauge in my triple gauge pod--unfortunately, I don't remember which length hose was installed where. If you don't want to use stainless, I'd at least use some copper tubing and not the poly tubing that typically comes with a mechanical gauge.

If you work out the details installing an aftermarket boost gauge in the dash, let me know. I started doing it (have a spare stock boost / fuel combo to play with), but I haven't had the time needed to devote to it.

This is how I went through the firewall:
100_0894-large.jpg

I purchase a 3' and 4' premade braided stainless hose (made specifically for gauges) and ran one of them between the bulkhead fitting and the sensor fitting, the other one between the bulkhead fitting and the gauge in my triple gauge pod--unfortunately, I don't remember which length hose was installed where. If you don't want to use stainless, I'd at least use some copper tubing and not the poly tubing that typically comes with a mechanical gauge.

If you work out the details installing an aftermarket boost gauge in the dash, let me know. I started doing it (have a spare stock boost / fuel combo to play with), but I haven't had the time needed to devote to it.

I love the SS braded hose with a bulkhead fitting in the firewall. I will be ordering the needed parts to run it that way.

I will post any updates on the instrument cluster I have. The cluster I purchased has not arrived yet. I wanted to see what would fit and look good before ordering gauges.

Back