ARP Studs - 92 SC

Charles G

I am rebuilding my engine and just put in the forum suggested Chevy studs ARP P/N 233-4003, but looks like they will not work with the stock heads, due to length (bottom too short, upper ones too long). Am I missing something:confused: , or do they not work with a 92, 3.8L SC engine?

I am rebuilding my engine and just put in the forum suggested Chevy studs ARP P/N 233-4003, but looks like they will not work with the stock heads, due to length (bottom too short, upper ones too long). Am I missing something:confused: , or do they not work with a 92, 3.8L SC engine?

What leads you to beleive they wont fit:confused: I just put my engine together and used the same studs. They are a perfect fit

Ken

I placed the studs in the block and the heads on the block, and found bottoms (spark plug side) studs too long, and on top (next to valves) too short to put nuts on. What am I missing or doing wrong, it seems too simple?

If they stick up to much than I would guess they are not screwed in to the block or they gave you the wrong studs. My studs fit perfectly so I would say you dont have the correct studs. Dont have any other answer for you

Ken

My studs fit perfect as well. The studs must be bottomed out in the bores of the holes. It is very likely there is junk in there you need to clean out. A long pick may be necessary.

In this picture you can see the head studs torqued down and note how they are flush with the nuts. There are washers under the nuts.

Attachments

• headbolts.jpg
    headbolts.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 91
I run the same studs also and mine fit perfectly.My guess is they aren't seated down all the way or you received the wrong studs.

Jay

I have the same studs, and a 1992 SC. They fit just fine. Take some pictures to help us figure out your issue.

-dz

You must chase the threads in the block with an appropriately sized bottoming tap. The threads on the outboards side must be finished all the way to the bottom, or the studs will not screw down far enough, causing intereference problems with the exhaust manifolds upon assembly.

JD

You must chase the threads in the block with an appropriately sized bottoming tap. The threads on the outboards side must be finished all the way to the bottom, or the studs will not screw down far enough, causing intereference problems with the exhaust manifolds upon assembly.

JD

Could you tell me where to get that tap? I've looked quite a bit and the 11 mm bolt size seems to be an automotive thing as it's not listed in any of the places I've looked.

I just got my ARP tuds yesterday form Bill at SCP. Just wanted to make sure they are not all supposed to be the same length. There are some that are about 1" shorter than the longestones. I've never had the heads off of an engine before, so I don't know what it is supposed to look like. I also got new Head Gaskets to put on my new never fired engine. Figured that they had alreday had the heads torqued down onto the bolck by the builder, so I needed to get new ones to go on it. Glad it is still on the stand in my garage. Will make the job easier :)

I was able to get my tap next-day through the local NAPA store. Just another option...

JD

I just got my ARP tuds yesterday form Bill at SCP. Just wanted to make sure they are not all supposed to be the same length. There are some that are about 1" shorter than the longestones. I've never had the heads off of an engine before, so I don't know what it is supposed to look like. I also got new Head Gaskets to put on my new never fired engine. Figured that they had alreday had the heads torqued down onto the bolck by the builder, so I needed to get new ones to go on it. Glad it is still on the stand in my garage. Will make the job easier :)

The length sounds right. The shorter ones go to the exhaust manifold side, as there is less "deck" thickness there for them to go through.

Back