six speed?

mckeansbird

I'm trying to find out if the 6 speed transmission from the 03-04 SVT Cobra Mustang will fit my 95 SC. It's a 5 speed now and it's grinding into 2nd and rarely wants to go into 3rd. I know I'll need to fab up tranny mounts and have a driveshaft made, plus figure out the shifter coming through the floor in the right location. My main question is about the shifter location and the bellhousing, if it bolts directly to the 3.8, and NOBODY seems to know. Questionable at best and very frustrating. I've searched the forums here but can't seem to find anyone that's done it or looked into it....any info would be great!! Thanks!

J

My main question is about the shifter location and the bellhousing, if it bolts directly to the 3.8, and NOBODY seems to know.

The 3.8/4.2/5.0L bellhousing bolt pattern is different than the 4.6/5.4L bellhousing bolt pattern. Though, I'm not certain if that transmission has a seperate bellhousing, or if it's one piece like the M5R2.

-Rod

seperate bellhousing. People have been using a mcleod universal bellhousing..Details can be found on tccoa.com

wow

ok so maybe when i'm rich it gets a 6 speed. for now i'm looking for a 5 speed from one of the 89 to 93 cars because 1st 2nd and 3rd are shorter ratios while 4th 5th and reverse are the same. it'll go better with my 2.73 rear gears. yeah i have a complete rear diff with 3.27 and limited slip but i do like the mileage the 2.73s get me on the open road. I need a stereo too. and maybe the new serpentine belt first....I hate how the lower radiator hose is INSIDE the loop of the belt. anyone else hate that? yeah...

ok so maybe when i'm rich it gets a 6 speed. for now i'm looking for a 5 speed from one of the 89 to 93 cars because 1st 2nd and 3rd are shorter ratios while 4th 5th and reverse are the same. it'll go better with my 2.73 rear gears. yeah i have a complete rear diff with 3.27 and limited slip but i do like the mileage the 2.73s get me on the open road. I need a stereo too. and maybe the new serpentine belt first....I hate how the lower radiator hose is INSIDE the loop of the belt. anyone else hate that? yeah...

What annoys me the most about that is it could very easily be routed differently so that it doesn't have to go through the belt. All you would need is a different lenght belt, so I can't for the life of me understand why ford didn't just route it that way.

Back