Mobil 1 synth ATF for M5R2 (friction modifier?)

A1cntrler

I have had good results in using Mobil1 Fluids for many many years in all vehicles I have owned, so I would like to use it in my SC. I will be using in the new motor once up and running, and also in my fresh trans. I will be putting my trans in this weekend (not putting fluid in it yet tho, I'll wait until after the motor is in there). I will be goign out and buying the fluid now though so I have it on hand, and tagging the shifter with a note to remind me to put it in. I see where some have used the Mobil1 in thier 5 speed, but in the same series of replies others chime in with what to use and always mention adding a friction modifier, but I can't tell if it is needed with the Mobil1. I'm not looking for someone to convert me to whichever fluid they think is the best, just if I need to get the modifier to put in it. And the amount I need is: 3 Liters?? For some reason I thought my trans guy said to use 3 1/2 of somehting, but don't recall if it was quarts (seems low) or Liters. He gave me 6 bottles of Cam2 trans fluid for it.

If you still have the original style blockers with the fiber liners, then yes, you should use the friciton modifier as no ATF fluid has it. If you have the brass blockers in place, then no do not use the friction modifier.

If you still have the original style blockers with the fiber liners, then yes, you should use the friciton modifier as no ATF fluid has it. If you have the brass blockers in place, then no do not use the friction modifier.

Does it hurt it?

I agree with Frit. Any synthetic ATF (Mobil 1 or Redline are probably the best). When I had a 5 speed SC I used Redline MTL (manual transmission fluid) - specifically designed for 5 speeds and made popular by BMW drivers who also found there trans shifter a bit stiff to operate. I also added Redline's Friction Modifier (4 ozs was enough). Last time I looked up Redline's web site however they were now recommending their ATF - type D or something like that (take a look on their site). Seeing that you don't change the fluid that offen - say every 100,000m, the extra cost of synthetics isn't an issue. I also heard people having good success with GM's syncromesh fluid.
The trans takes about 3.1/4 quarts of fluid, so 3 quarts + the 4ozs of modifier just about does it. Filling can be a little difficult because there isn't much room to gravity fill from quart bottles under the car; so you'll need a long filler tube/hose that will allow you to hold a bottle up high in the engine compartment. Just fill until it runs out the filler hole and let any excess drip out before installing the plug.

I've heard that the friction modifier can actually cause the brass blockers to slip so you wouldn't be able to shift.

I have been running Mobil 1 synthetic ATF along with the required amount of Ford fiction modifier in my five speed for years and have not had any problems. I also have brass blocker rings in it after I fuged up the stock blockers. After I had the brass blockers installed I started using Mobil 1 + friction modifier...been sweet every since so far and I can be pretty hard on the trans at times.

To sum up, for a stock and original '94 5spd, go with Mobil 1, 3qts, and 4 ounces of friction modifier?

Mine is whining a little, i need to crawl under and check the level before i change it.

I've had good luck with Sycromesh as tranny fluid for 5spds although I've never used it in an m5r2, its been great to me in other trannys that take ATF

Back