Progress Pics..

KwikGSeX

So far the SC is coming along very nicely.. I was hoping to have had it done sooner but due to lack of time and the fact that we are nickel and diming this car it wont be ready till next week.. We got the FMIC done along with the pipes. One of my friends is donating the TBolt clamps so we are waiting on those along with the new MAF.. Also need to install the BJH balancer and plug wires and finish mounting the solenoids for the nitrous.. Here is what we started with minus the blower

DSC02138.jpg

And here is where the car was at as of yesterday..

JrsSuperCoupe30-1.jpg

JrsSuperCoupe35.jpg

JrsSuperCoupe31-1.jpg

JrsSuperCoupe29-1.jpg

JrsSuperCoupe28.jpg

JrsSuperCoupeBig4.jpg

PS - SCP 2 1/2" aluminum downtubes make EXCELLENT FMIC pipes..

Looking good....I especially like the removal of the center section of the front bumper. Had to do the same thing on my turbo car.

David

Looking good....I especially like the removal of the center section of the front bumper. Had to do the same thing on my turbo car.

David

I have a very similar i/c that I'm getting ready to mount in the same location and I wanted to use a puller fan on it but my ac condensor would be in the way and the i/c only has about 1" at best in front of it, eliminating the bumper frame in front of it is a good ideal as I don't plan on rear ending nobody in the near future.:rolleyes:

So you just can remove the bumber moulding, right?

I removed my front bumber today and thought if I can lose that...?

I will get the custom FMIC in the future...

Sami

I would like to know what moron at Ford thought it would be smart to WELD the front bumper to the frame rails.. How are you supposed to replace it if god forbid you ever do get into an accident???

Personally I think removing the front bumper is a dumb move for a street car. So much for design safety and structural integrity of the front end. :rolleyes:

The front bumper is welded on because it is a structural member of the car. It's not hard at all to remove if you can drill a spot weld. I've had mine off and back on more than once.

Personally I think removing the front bumper is a dumb move for a street car. So much for design safety and structural integrity of the front end. :rolleyes:

The front bumper is welded on because it is a structural member of the car. It's not hard at all to remove if you can drill a spot weld. I've had mine off and back on more than once.

Well, good thing this isnt a street car.. I understand it is a structural member of the car but for those of us blessed with only hand tools and no welder its kind of difficult to put back on no?

Why would you take off your front bumper if you cant put it back on ???

If you drilled out the spot welds, you could probably put some little bolts in there and hold it in. :eek:

And by DSM you mean .. Mitsubishi ?

- Dan

Why would you take off your front bumper if you cant put it back on ???

If you drilled out the spot welds, you could probably put some little bolts in there and hold it in. :eek:

And by DSM you mean .. Mitsubishi ?

- Dan

Yea Mitsubishi Eclipse/Eagle Talon..

If i was in a minor fender bender that bent the front bumper that means I would HAVE to go to the body shop to have a new bumper rewelded onto the frame rails.. As opposed to the option of unbolting it and putting on a new one like you can with the rear bumper..

As we all know, with a positive displacement blower IC size if of secondary importance. If an IC is on the small size all it does is require a couple more HP to push the air through it. Cooling is of much greater importance. FWIW the IC that was on your silver car long ago actually sucks for our blowers. My ACT's were significantly higher at the track than they should have been.

Also, if you drill the spot welds with a 3/8 dill bit and then use 6 like sized bolts on each side to bolt it back on it will be fine. Personally I'd be concerned about the motor twisting the frame rails without the center part being there. It seems to me any energy spent twisting things can't be put to the ground very well.

Hmm we should have an IC discussion in another thread. There are many parameters that matter with an IC to cool the ACT.

As we all know, with a positive displacement blower IC size if of secondary importance. If an IC is on the small size all it does is require a couple more HP to push the air through it. Cooling is of much greater importance. FWIW the IC that was on your silver car long ago actually sucks for our blowers. My ACT's were significantly higher at the track than they should have been.

Also, if you drill the spot welds with a 3/8 dill bit and then use 6 like sized bolts on each side to bolt it back on it will be fine. Personally I'd be concerned about the motor twisting the frame rails without the center part being there. It seems to me any energy spent twisting things can't be put to the ground very well.

If that engine combo twists the frame bc I cut the bumper support, Dennis can keep the car, I wouldnt want it....;)

Considering this car really isn't a street car, solid motor mounts would solve all those issues. ;) I don't know how much the bumper adds to the strength of the chassis, but I do know that these cars have issues with body flex.

I mainly posted about the bumper because around here people regularly jump on the bandwagon of doing things to their street cars without knowing the implications of what they are doing. I'm sure you guys don't have that issue too much though.

Cant you just weld on a thin bar across the front end to connect both frame rails? It would solve all flexing issues and you'd still have all the extra room.

Shane

Back