Just bought 95' T-bird, a few questions...

onijeri

Hello ALL!

Two days ago I purchased a 95' Thunderbird (4.6 L) for $300! I runs and drives; I even drove it 60 miles back to my house where it is now nestled in my garage. It certainley needs some TLC. But most "fixes" seem to be out of neglect and laziness. The motor runs suprisingly smooth and queit. However, on initial start up, you have to pump it some gas it get it warmed up for a few seconds to where it can hold a steady idle so it doesnt die. But it runs fine right after. Also, under "hard" acceleration it shudders. If you dab the gas, the RPMS will fall drasticley and then shoot up. Almost like there is a delay in fuel delivery and then all at once it gets fuel. I was thinking it is just in dire need of a standard tune (i.e. plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil change, PCV). Any thoughts or suggestions? I dont know what is "common" mishap on this car so I thought that I would check.

Once I get this car cleaned up, sqaure away the interior, and un f*ck some wiring, then this car will a nice back up driver. It just needs allot of "little" things. I mainly dab in the import world when it comes to performace; With the exception of my 77' Nova. One question though, why in gods name does this V8 only push 205hp? It has uber torque (265 ft), but I though the hp would be higher. My 2001 Honda Prelude has 35 more horses than this thing and it has half the cylinders and is Natrually Aspirated. Since the SC version of the T-bird packs so much punch, I figured the V8 version would as well. Looking at the set up though, with that weird split coil pack hoosie whatsit things besides a distributor; Its like Ford Motor company strived for fuel effeciency rather then utlizing the V8's displacement for more hp. Since they made a non SC v6 version, why the need for a larger motor gas saver? I'm just scratching my head over it. I still think it a beautiful car none the less. I can't wait to clean her up and make it proud to drive again.

Was ist los?

Hmmmmm; No suggestions on the hard shudder huh? I hope I didnt step on toes me being an import enthusiast.

Last edited:
Just give it some time. Someone will read the board tonight and chime in for you on your question I'm sure. As for the import thing, I don't think this board is like that. Everyone is pretty friendy, and pretty much just car lovers...

Not to run you off...

But you may want to post over at TCCoA as they are chock full of 4.6l bird owners. You may find more help over there.

I'd try tccoa as sccoa is for supercoupe's prim. i dont think this site is filled w/too many dumbestics...just car lovers,and rice haters.:D

run a code test if you can

run a code test if you can, but I believe this sound like an old choke problem
you are getting too much air when cold, I would clean out the throttle body with cleaner. butterfly valves could be sticking. If not look to the air charge temp sensor.(ACT)

give the IAC a little love tap with the butt end of a screwdriver... see if that helps. take the IAC unit off and spray it out with some carb cleaner... sounds like its stuck... clean your MAF sensor, run a can of seafoam through your gas tank next fillup... should get you somewhere.

Carb cleaner will destroy an IAC, it's too harsh. If you do want to clean it, do a search and find an alternative to carb cleaner.

Eurekia!

LOL; I see. Yeah, its nice to find a thread to where people arent to pre-occupied arguing over the never ending Import vs. Domestic debate. Anyone with reasonable car knowledge knows that neither side can win. But I still have my 77' Nova (Amongst the Honda Prelude, Mazda 6, and Nissan 240 SX)!

I'll try that other recomended post. I know for a fact that the shutter isnt Tranny related because it'll do it nuetral. Being the drift/grip racing obsessed that I am, while driving the Bird home I thought I'd try and see if I could take it sideways. *sigh* It just kinda stopped. Didnt have enough power to start throttle control to aggreavate a drift. I essentially ended up turning sharp and then slowing way down. Don't worry, this wont be a drift car. I just wanted see what it was capable of.

you oughta look up slidebird91 over on tccoa... he would disagree with you slightly that the birds arent drift monsters... just search youtube for tbird drifting... his is a white 96/97...

LOL; I see. Yeah, its nice to find a thread to where people arent to pre-occupied arguing over the never ending Import vs. Domestic debate. Anyone with reasonable car knowledge knows that neither side can win. But I still have my 77' Nova (Amongst the Honda Prelude, Mazda 6, and Nissan 240 SX)!

I'll try that other recomended post. I know for a fact that the shutter isnt Tranny related because it'll do it nuetral. Being the drift/grip racing obsessed that I am, while driving the Bird home I thought I'd try and see if I could take it sideways. *sigh* It just kinda stopped. Didnt have enough power to start throttle control to aggreavate a drift. I essentially ended up turning sharp and then slowing way down. Don't worry, this wont be a drift car. I just wanted see what it was capable of.

Torque converter shudder can occur at idle.

And yes search at tccoa.com. I will say mine runs real nice after I clean the MAF. I use electrical contact cleaner. Watch the oil level, 94-95 drink oil almost as much as gas.

T-bird Terror

you oughta look up slidebird91 over on tccoa... he would disagree with you slightly that the birds arent drift monsters... just search youtube for tbird drifting... his is a white 96/97...

Oh I don't doubt it; I mean it has enough torque to break tires easily. I was commenting that because of my acceleration/hesitaion problem that I wasn't able to break sideways... Or break any direction for that matter.

Yeah, looks like I'm gonna have to clean the MAF and IAC. Did that not too long ago on my Prelude. I also Sea Foamed the engine; Might not be too bad of an idea to do to the T-bird as well. The plugs look like ~~~; Although they are Bosch 4+'s. I loved Bosch, but Honda's hate Bosch plugs. Some one also told me that Ford motors aren't too fond of them either. I also noticed the stock intake hose clamps that connect the throttle body to the intake are missing so I am sure that wasnt helping. That was an easy fix; But the motor still hesitate.s The bearing in the Alternator is making a god aweful noise as well. Does the alternator on the T-bird have it to where you can change out the ceramic bearing without replacing the entire alternator? I tested the alternator itself and its fine. I'd hate to replace it in lue of one noisy bearing. I'll post on how she takes to the tune and clean up. Since buying her, I've had 4 people try and buy it off me. I plan on keepin this car for awhile though.

i own a 94lx

slow as hell after driving my slightly modded sc...

as for the shudder, people have this problem and replace the tranny fluid with mervon v. mercon v is supposed to stop the shudder.

try it.

my lx has mercon v and it doesnt shudder.

is it even a shudder, do the rpms drop or anything like that?

maybe you need new plugs, and new wires while your at it.
sounds like this car might have been neglected, so id say that might be something to look at, also might want to replace the fuel filter, air filter, change the oil etc....basic maintenece

Back