PDA

View Full Version : Question for those running headers...

deepbluesc
07-13-2007, 05:56 PM
O.K. So I finally started installing the parts that have been collected for longer than some people have owned an SC:eek: . While installing roller rockers and changing the VC gaskets, I struggled with those stupid metal heater hose with more brackets to the exhaust manifold than it takes to hold the alternator on!!!:mad: :mad:

Anyway, it seems to me the header bolt kit doesn't really accommodate those stupid brackets, so what is everyone doing? Eliminate the brackets? Eliminate the entire metal hoses?

I'm considering just running a good quality hose the entire route, maybe covering them in braided steel or convoluted tubing.

Just looking to see what others have done and what worked best. No sense in reinventing the wheel for the millionth time!!!:D

XR7 Dave
07-13-2007, 10:29 PM
I have used brass hose splices to extend the stock heater hoses (the ones nicely molded at the back of the motor) and then eliminated the metal lines altogether. Be creative, make them a little longer than necessary, and you'll make spark plug changes at least 50% easier. :D Just watch that they don't fall down by the headers. You'll need to use something to tie them up.

cbt
07-14-2007, 03:56 AM
if you don't mind just cut the backets off . i did'nt like them ,did'nt have to buy anything - but do make sure they dont touch the header

BlackbirdSC
07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Zip tie the hoses to something and either leave the brackets hang or hack 'em off.

Scott Long
07-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I bent them back and forth until I could weaken the metal enough to cut it with some shears.

deepbluesc
07-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Got 10' of braided steel hose and some fancy clamps. I'm going to replace the entire lines with the braided steel. I got some spark plug wire looms to bolt to the valve covers and I'm gonna zip tie the lines to them to keep them high and safe. I can just cut the ties when I need access and tie them back afterwards.

Now I'm thinking I may do the same for the rad hoses as well, but I'm not sure what route I'm taking there yet.

83GT460
07-14-2007, 05:44 PM
All of the brackets can be used with the header bolts and Kooks headers without issue, although Dave is correct that it will make plug changes easier without them in the way. I kept all of the stock hoses just because they are there and they work and I didn't feel like changing them.

Charles