stumped on stalling problem

Scott Long

I'm in Mississippi and my car is with my wife in Virginia.

She called me today and said the car stalled out on her while she was going to the store. After 3 or 4 tries it started again. She didn't have to wait like 15 minutes or anything.

It did this once, she said it felt like it was going to stall a few times, and it was hard to start twice.

She also said it feels like it's bucking but I don't know if she knows if it's misfiring, or just running like crap.

The cam sensor went out in 2005 when we were in VA and I put a new cam sensor on it when it came in, in the parking lot of advance auto parts.

The crank sensor is new right before last years shootout, I put a new BHJ on the car and a crank sensor. I think the DIS has been replaced about 4-5 years ago with one from auto zone. The coil pack is original. Plus and wires were done at the same time as the BHJ, plugs are autolite non plats, 2 heat ranges colder (forget the number). Obviously I can't really do much about it since I'm stuck in Mississippi and can not leave. And my wife doesn't trust the car to drive it here to bring it to me since she doesn't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. Can't blame her there.

I'm thinking it may be the DIS module if the bucking she feels is the DIS dropping cylinders, but I can't be for sure because I obviously can't drive it. Normally I'd have a better description of whats wrong, but I'm going by what my wife told me on the phone.

Anyone else think it sounds like a DIS? She said it normally runs fine and even ran dead even with a new 350Z from a stop light race. She said he didn't pull an inch and she even spun bad on the launch so that made me happy to hear the SC was running strong. But now today I hear about this.

My tool chest is in my mom's garage in Michigan, so it's not like I can even talk to my father in-law and tell him how to remove the DIS to take it and get it tested. He's not a mechanical guy, but I think if I had the tools and could tell him it's two clips and 4 5.5mm bolts, he could figure it out. But none the less I may be able to have one of the Hampton Roads SC guys come take a look and swap a DIS module for me.

Oh and the ingnition switch inside the steering column is new as of Feb 2007.

Last edited:
Sounds like a DIS problem.....

Is it loosing the tach signal when it starts to buck.....

I'll bet it starts to buck after the engine compartment gets hot....

My white XR-7 did the same thing and we replaced the DIS and used Artic Silver on the contact patch and she is running excellent.....:D

Some Auto Zones can check our DIS modules for proper operation.....

She says the tach never quits like it did 2 years ago when the cam sensor died. I've never heard of a DIS making the car actually stall but I know when they go bad that they drop cylinders and make the car run like crap.

I have heard that arctic silver stuff is awesome. I plan to get some of that and a new DIS when I return to Virginia to get my car.

I used to work at AZ and I could test those modules, but I tried to have one tested not to long ago and the guys at the store didn't have a clue and wouldn't let me touch the equipment. I used to be a manager for 3 years at an autozone near me and I could test just about everything unless there was no way to test it.

I'm looking for someone local to help my wife with this till I can return.

Looks like Nickleman60 has some spare DIS modules and is going to go take a look at my car for me. SC owners are some of the most hospitable people I've ever met. But then I'd do the same for an SC owner if I was able to help them.

Hopefully the DIS module turns out to be the culprit, because then I'll order a brand new one, as well as a screamin' demon coil pack. :D

It sucks being 900+ miles away from my SC when the car has a problem. My wife can't fix it, and I don't feel like paying a shop to look at it (because they charge more labor for even simple tasks because not many people know what the heck they are looking at under the hood of these cars.)

Well after they put the used DIS in my car, it fired up and my wife drove it. Brought it home and said it ran good but shook a little bit on the way back. Parked it, and then 5 minutes later it wouldn't start. Only crank, but not start. She let it sit for like 30 minutes and tried it again, fired right up.

I'm thinking it may be a crank sensor going out. The one on the car is less than a year old. I put it on when I installed the BHJ right before last years shootout.

Anyhow, I just ordered up a new cam sensor, crank sensor, DIS module, and screamin' demon coilpack. Almost $400 in parts. When I fly back to VA I'm going to take the car over to A1cntrler's house and we are going to swap out my ignition system since I don't have tools at my in-laws house. I hope to god it runs good after that so I can go back to MI with it while I'm on leave so my wife can pick up her car. Damn military is making us move all over.

Any ideas? I think I'll change the fuel pump relay also and the ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor for good measure. I have more than enough money saved up to play with and this car is pretty reliable except for this problem now. Might as well have the peace of mind of knowing it's got an entirely new ignition system.

Anyone have any good comments about the screamin' demon coilpack?

Thanks for coming over and working on the car for my wife Nickleman60 (Keith). Was that Z90SC (Rick) who came with you? You two have cold beers coming when I get back if you'll meet me for dinner and hang out at Jenro's.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping out anyways though. It's nice to know that someone was willing to go over and look at my car for me. I appreciate it more than you know. I should be in town in about 2 weeks.

Looks like I'm going to Wright Patterson AFB, Dayton Ohio.

I have to report by 31 Aug 07.

It was on my list of bases but I really wanted Langley. I might still try to trade I don't know. It's closer to my family in Dayton than Hampton VA is.

Also the Air Force Museum is there.

Looks like I'll be working at the Headquarters of the Air Force Intelligence Agency. And I'm right next to the SC Shootout!

Well after they put the used DIS in my car, it fired up and my wife drove it. Brought it home and said it ran good but shook a little bit on the way back. Parked it, and then 5 minutes later it wouldn't start. Only crank, but not start. She let it sit for like 30 minutes and tried it again, fired right up.

I'm thinking it may be a crank sensor going out. The one on the car is less than a year old. I put it on when I installed the BHJ right before last years shootout.

Anyhow, I just ordered up a new cam sensor, crank sensor, DIS module, and screamin' demon coilpack. Almost $400 in parts. When I fly back to VA I'm going to take the car over to A1cntrler's house and we are going to swap out my ignition system since I don't have tools at my in-laws house. I hope to god it runs good after that so I can go back to MI with it while I'm on leave so my wife can pick up her car. Damn military is making us move all over.

Any ideas? I think I'll change the fuel pump relay also and the ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor for good measure. I have more than enough money saved up to play with and this car is pretty reliable except for this problem now. Might as well have the peace of mind of knowing it's got an entirely new ignition system.

Anyone have any good comments about the screamin' demon coilpack?

Thanks for coming over and working on the car for my wife Nickleman60 (Keith). Was that Z90SC (Rick) who came with you? You two have cold beers coming when I get back if you'll meet me for dinner and hang out at Jenro's.

As for the coil pack, i bought the new accel performance one and was not satisfied and got a refund, i believe it was just a bad one because i also put it on a friends sc with same results of a bad mis. I just felt i could use my 95 bucks elsewhere. I hear many have used these with success.

Im stumped with similar results that you are having with my 95.
My car stalls without warning, something is cutting its fuel supply off and i cant seem to find it.
i swapped the IRCM which from what i gather on the 94+ cars that where the fuel pump relay is, ifim wrong id like to know.....early model i hear it could be in the trunk.
the car did this before i installed the 255lph and nothing has changed.
Like you the car will sometimes crank back up, other times it could take forever 20-30 cranks.
I had a code for bad o2 with the cel staying on, i swapped out 2 new ones, reset the computer and havent seen the cel since, so no codes...im stumped and frustrated.
I never know when the car will die so i always find myself in the right lane of every road so i can pull it over.

plugs maybe

You mentioned 2 numbers colder plugs installed , try to put in the original numbered plugs . the plugs could be fouled from your wife driving it for groceries!!!:rolleyes:

:eek: My wife probably drives my SC harder than I do. She raced a 350Z the other day on her way back home. Said the SC stayed dead even with it up to 75 when they let off. Guy gave her thumbs up.

Thank god the nitrous bottle is empty. :eek: She'd have too much fun.

I plan on putting new plugs in it when I get it back to MI to pick up my clothes and stuff before I move down to Ohio.

I'll only have 9 days to fly to VA, change the parts on the car, visit friends and family, drive to MI to get my clothes and my wifes car, visit family, and then head to Ohio.

I also need to put new upper control arms on the car while it's in VA. I am going to do that myself also. A fellow SC owner who lives near my in-laws in VA has offered to let me use his tools. I'm sure the two of us can do the control arms. The front suspension was just apart recently when I put the lowering springs and KYB's on it. A1Cntrler who has 2 35th's is going to be helping me out. I'm thankful he offered the use of his tools and driveway. Saves me a ton of cash of renting a u-haul and trailer or shipping the car.

..Scott,has the ignition switch been changed on that car?There was a recall on that switch many yrs ago.....when I first got my 90 SC I remember having the same problem....car would drive fine,would stall intermittantly,would have to sit for a while,sometimes it would take 4-6 attempts before starting...after much searching I changed out the ignition switch and have never had the problem since......just a thought....
z

Scott,

We just did the control arms along with the rest of the suspension on my my brother's car a few weeks back. Not to hard for two guys if you have the right tools. A good spring compressor is probably the only oddball tool.

..Scott,has the ignition switch been changed on that car?There was a recall on that switch many yrs ago.....when I first got my 90 SC I remember having the same problem....car would drive fine,would stall intermittantly,would have to sit for a while,sometimes it would take 4-6 attempts before starting...after much searching I changed out the ignition switch and have never had the problem since......just a thought...
z

was the ignition switch a issue with the later models 94-95, im having a very similular issue and thats about the only part i have delt with yet.

was the ignition switch a issue with the later models 94-95, im having a very similular issue and thats about the only part i have delt with yet.

...I'm not sure about the 94/95,I think TCCOA has a list of recalls on one of it's pages....
z

Back