Rear Subframe Isolators

Zoran89SC

O.K. so I've got the old one out but I can't get the new one in. These are the big rubber bushings that connect the rear sub-frame to the body of the car. They're rubber, cone shaped and about 4 in. in diameter. Is there some kind of trick or special tool to do this? Any help would be great.

if the IRS assembly is still in you could use the weight of the car to push it in with the help of grease and a floor jack. these things are a huge pain to put in:mad:

You need a big metal [ looking piece to accept the bushing on the side you're pulling towards. On the other side, you'll need a big washer to bring the busing along. Then you'll need a strong piece of threaded rod and some nuts.

Official Ford/Rotunda Tool made right before your eyes.

I use weight of car to get em in and ivory dish soap and water its slippery as hell and washes off

I think I saw someone make a useful pressing tool out of an oil filter cup wrench and a threaded bolt and some big washers. Use at your own risk, but I like that better than the idea of dropping the car on it.

Thanks guys. I got the one in, but now I can't get the bolt off on the other side. It's just spinning as I'm unscrewing it. I've read a post about drilling in from the top and holding it from there. Maybe I'll have this car running this summer...

That's too bad about the other bolt. Sad to say, the problem is that the nut was welded to the inside of the frame rail but the welds broke. Apparently, it's a common problem. So you will probably have to drill through the top, like you said. Someone else on here did that and welded a new nut in place. Make sure that you refinish the inside.

Back