PDA

View Full Version : Rear Subframe Isolators

Zoran89SC
07-15-2007, 11:33 AM
O.K. so I've got the old one out but I can't get the new one in. These are the big rubber bushings that connect the rear sub-frame to the body of the car. They're rubber, cone shaped and about 4 in. in diameter. Is there some kind of trick or special tool to do this? Any help would be great.

dwinthrup
07-17-2007, 09:57 PM
if the IRS assembly is still in you could use the weight of the car to push it in with the help of grease and a floor jack. these things are a huge pain to put in:mad:

MikeKanterakis
07-18-2007, 12:38 PM
You need a big metal [ looking piece to accept the bushing on the side you're pulling towards. On the other side, you'll need a big washer to bring the busing along. Then you'll need a strong piece of threaded rod and some nuts.

Official Ford/Rotunda Tool made right before your eyes.

mannysc
07-18-2007, 04:47 PM
I use weight of car to get em in and ivory dish soap and water its slippery as hell and washes off

S_Mazza
07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
I think I saw someone make a useful pressing tool out of an oil filter cup wrench and a threaded bolt and some big washers. Use at your own risk, but I like that better than the idea of dropping the car on it.

Zoran89SC
07-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys. I got the one in, but now I can't get the bolt off on the other side. It's just spinning as I'm unscrewing it. I've read a post about drilling in from the top and holding it from there. Maybe I'll have this car running this summer...

S_Mazza
07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
That's too bad about the other bolt. Sad to say, the problem is that the nut was welded to the inside of the frame rail but the welds broke. Apparently, it's a common problem. So you will probably have to drill through the top, like you said. Someone else on here did that and welded a new nut in place. Make sure that you refinish the inside.