Run problem

Emu Bird

My 89 SC 5 speed has been sitting for almost a year. It ran fine when I parked it. I put in a new battery and it cranked up on the first try,after running for a minute it started to idle poorly as if it was about to cutoff the tach would drop then go back to just under 1000 rpms and it did this until I shut it down. The cam sensor and the cranksensor was replaced in 01 and as I said the car has been sitting, could either of these sensors or both need replacement. A tune up also is order you know plugs and wires. It does not have the milage but the time since the last change is due. thanks for any assistance.

Probably the best thing you can do for starters is to have to car scanned and rule out any ecm controlled problems. If nothing shows up there then with a few exceptions you can rule out the sensors.
Is the fuel pump running when you turn the key to the run position? If you cant hear it then just make sure you have the car off and cigs out and check the pressure at the fuel rail. DIS module or coil pack can cause problems. I can go on but I think your getting the picture now. Start simplethen work your way up as needed.

S

My 89 SC 5 speed has been sitting for almost a year. It ran fine when I parked it. I put in a new battery and it cranked up on the first try,after running for a minute it started to idle poorly as if it was about to cutoff the tach would drop then go back to just under 1000 rpms and it did this until I shut it down. The cam sensor and the cranksensor was replaced in 01 and as I said the car has been sitting, could either of these sensors or both need replacement. A tune up also is order you know plugs and wires. It does not have the milage but the time since the last change is due. thanks for any assistance.

Could it be as simple as bad gas? Sitting for an entire year, I'd get some good gas in it before I'd replace anything.

Back