Rattling coming from front end while going over bumps, 3rd SC, 3rd try, HELP!!!!

phils89sc

This is my 3rd SC. My first was an immaculate 1989 SC, second was a project 90 Anniversary (didn't like the auto trans), and my third and current is a 89 SC, 5speed. The car has new upper front control arms, new steering rack (needs new bushings though). What really bothers me is that every little bump I go over, especially when the suspension is in the 'Auto' position, I hear a rattle coming from the front end of the car. the rattle is just slightly less when the suspension is set to 'firm'. Braking over the bumps has no dimishing effect on the problem. It is really getting irritating. Before I just start replacing parts, has anyone else had any luck curing this problem?

Thanks

Philip Stocker

The odds are good its the sway bar end-links. Instead of the older design end links that have bushings on the ends the SC's have small ball-joints. Just about every body uses this now.

Any check out the end-links and if the dust boots are shot then its just about a sure bet they're your problem. You could double check by using a pry bar to check for free-play in the joints. HTH!

Back