maunal trans

VINCES

My '94 5spd is making an ugly whining noise, sounds like it's coming from the trans....it has a lot of miles on it, but shifts perfectly, up and down....

Synchros? I thought it might be, but on the other hand wouldn't shift really well. I think someone recommended changing fluid with synthetic, but i think it was changed about 1.5 yrs ago, probably reg fluid though....

synchros wouldn't cause a whining noise, but it certainly could be a bearing inside the trans. Does the noise go away if you push the cluch in?

Hmmm, to be honest with you I forget....I know it's still there when cruising in neutral, i'll check tonight.

kindof a squeaky, whining noise? mine is too... also a grinding if i'm trying to downshift into second or first... it actually kicked itself out of first at a light.. and died in first with the clutch all the way in... is my clutch toast?

sorry for the hijack. :D

Mine only whines, shifts up and down fine. My mechanic said it sounded like a bearing. It's due for inspection this week, well, I just bought it and it was out of state, so PA requires inspection.
I'll have to look...how involved is replacing a bearing???? let me guess, it was the first part when they built the car, and even the back seats and taillights have to come out!!!!!

I love these cars, the one i bought last weekend was my 5th...93, 2*94, 2*95.....and i changed the wires to see if that's what the miss it had was...it fixed it, but it only took 1.5 hrs!!!! Not that I forgot how much of a PIA it is, but.....now i need to probably go back and put plugs in too....

Drove it last night...seems to go away, but not completely, when I push the clutch in....Throwout bearing?

Back