Steering Shaft Replacement Needed

S_Mazza

Ok, junkyard hunters. I have a question for you. The stock steering shaft is no longer available from Ford. I mean the "double-D" shaft that goes from a U-joint under the dash to the vibration reducer (rag joint) in the engine bay, and then to the rack. My shaft is worn out and had enough play between the inner and outer parts of the double-D shaft that it "Clunk"s on any bumpy road. I can hear and feel the clunk in the steering wheel. I know the clunk is not from any other source, as I can replicate it by pushing up or down on the shaft, and I feel the same thing. The U-joints in the shaft feel fine, but they should probably get replaced at some point.

Now, my question is: Does anyone know if there is a newer vehicle with a compatible shaft? The requirements are as follows: Upper U-joint: 3/4"-36 female on one end, 3/4"-D female on the other end. Shaft: "Double-D" (3/4" male inner. 1" ? female outer). Length - unknown (18"-21" fully extended, maybe?). Vibration reducer / rag joint: 3/4"-D male on one end, 3/4"-36 female on the other.

There has got to be a car out there that uses at least some compatible parts. Maybe we can mix and match to find a good solution! I want to figure this out, but I have virtually no access to you-pull-its where I live. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Try some of the guys...

advertising cars they are parting out. Personally, I got the stainless stell u-joint from Flaming River. It replaces that whole rag joint.

Yes, I know that it is possible to replace the rag joint like that, but the rag joint is not my problem. The issue with the Flaming River or Borgeson parts is simply cost. I don't want to drop over $150 for 2 new U-joints and a section of shaft. The issue I have with a used T-Bird shaft is that I am worried it will have the same problem. All three of my Thunderbirds have had it. The first one was only 9 or 10 years old when I first noticed it. Maybe I just drive on worse roads than most; I don't know.

Anyway, I still want to know. Has anyone seen anything?

Back