won't start

EdApeman

Had a problem with my 90 SC last night - I went for dinner, car ran fine. 2 hours later, I went to start it and it would just crank over but not fire. I figured time to get a mechanic to look at it, so I towed it to the shop. It would not start being towed either.

We towed it down a rough road getting to the shop, and I decided to give it one last try, and it fired up no problem... I decided not much point paying a mechanic to look at it as there was likely nothing they would find.

Has anyone else ever experienced this type of problem? About the only other problem I have with the car is that it sometimes will not idle smoothly unless I pump the gas once before starting it.

Sounds like you may have a fuel pump going out but it is hard to say now. If it does it again, depress the shraeder valve on the front driver side of the fuel rail. Fuel should squirt out. If it doesn't, you have no fuel pressure.

May Dakota use to do that once in a while and I had to get under it and wack the gas tank with a two-by-four to jar the fuel pump loose.

thanks for the advice. I will have to start carrying some lumber with me:) That would probably have done it, as the car bottomed out over a gravel berm when towing it.

When you first turn the key on but don't crank it, listen to hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds. If it doesn't prime, it could be the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay.

Back