dis?

lowflying90

does anyone know the symptons of a bad dis? any method to putting the heat sink compound underneath when changing one?

thanks,
jeff

My SC developed a stalling period under acceleration......Check engine light would come on when I would experience this problem. My SC would throw a code (check engine light) then I would floor it, and the car would stumble. I would even accelerate enought to come into boost, just to have the car stumble more. After the check engine light would go out, the car would act fine, as if nothing happened.

I happened to have a spare DIS at my house and switched it into my SC. NO more problems!

I applied the di-electric grease with my fingers. I cover the DIS plate with about a 1/8 inch of grease. Then bolt the DIS down very easy to get a good coverage of grease on back of DIS.

Cheers,
Calvin

hey Calvin, did it do that at a certain rpm? mine does that at exactly 3k stumbles like crazy check engine light comes on. my car will not go over 3k. i thought it was the plugs. under 3 the car runs awesome lots of power, no rough idle. no problem until it reaches about 7pds of boost at 3k rpm then it pretty much shuts down. let off the gas car like resets itself under 3 and is fine. I've had the car up to 110 mph no problem just can't floor it or kick it into overdrive. sorry i got long winded there...Bill

Bill-
My car would only have a stumble problem under normal driving conditons. Example: Interstate drive cruising at 65, the check engine light would come on, then the car would stumble. So I would try to see if I could give it gas to see it that would help. When I gave it gas, I could see that I was given enough fuel to get into boost. But the car would still stumble until the check engine light when off. Once that happened, the car would accelerate normal. As if nothing happened, which I knew something wasn't right. I did all the routine stuff....I checked the wires, plugs, etc etc.

After my last time of this happening, I rode home thinking of what the problem could be......I said what the hell and switch out the DIS to see if that was my problem. Sure enough it was. I have had ZERO problems since I switched to a known working DIS.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Calvin

re: heat sink compound

"The heat sink compound should be changed at 50,000 miles as it dries out and looses it's ability to transfer heat. Radio shack sells it. Clean off both surfaces and put a nice thin even coat on the Dis"

DIS 101 by Eben Farly Charging Thunder June 2002.

Hey Calvin, I changed my dis tonight with one i bought a while back as a back up. WOW what a difference pulled right up to 11pds of boost, thanks for your help. I can finally drive the car the way it is supposed to be driven...Bill:D :D :D

Your very welcome. I just stumble on this fix on that drive home from work after having those problem(s) discussed in this thread. Sure enough, It cured my problem........and YOURS!!!

Cheers,
Calvin

Back