Engine stall w/AC on

CanadianCoupe91

I was wondering if this is a hint that the pump is drawing to much current cause it's on it's way out? Any idea's? Engine does not quite stall it drops from 1000 down to 500 for the 2 seconds the pump enganges then works it's way back up. Once in a while it will stall right out.:(

Check the condition of the engine mounts. :cool: ... and no, I'm not joking.
Do a search to find out what to look for as its been covered quite a bit. :cool:

well, the car will shake when the AC pump drags it down to like 400 rpm's.
Now the engine mounts, guess I'll be checking that one out. That's pretty weird that my AC would hint at my engine mounts.

Mine did it and I replaced the IAC and it fixed it. The IAC brings the engine idle up when the compressor is engaged to make up for the drag on the engine. If it isnt working properly it will cause a stall.

I agree with Tim. Broken mounts might let the engine shake but would not cause it to stall.

Last edited:
Thanx for all the input, I am going to check the engine mounts just cause it seems to be the cool thing to do.:cool: however I wouldn't rely on that being the problem for my AC. Even if the engine mounts were toast if I replaced them, the AC would still drain my power or cause it to try to stall. So today I will grab the iac and let you all know if that works.

ps. lately the first start of the day has been rough you know, Me: "car go you bastard" car: "~~~~ off you cock sucker":p So that might suggest the iac too:confused:

Not saying it couldn't be the IAC... they can get sluggish or ruptured and cause problems. But you might want to keep your receipt. :cool:

If you get an IAC from one from the parts stores, chances are 75% that is wrong. It must be a valve closed model. It must look the same as the original. If it has a wire lead, its wrong.. won't work on the SC's engine. Best place to get one is from Ford.

Last edited:
A/C issue...

There is also a switch to let the PCM know that the A/C compressor is coming on so it can adjust the idle speed to compensate for the additional load. I need to look to see where it is.

Do you know what to look for regarding the mounts? Well anyway, what you're looking for is to see if the mount is so collapsed that the limiter arm is resting on the bracket. If you move the coolant overflow reservoir out of the way, the pass side is easy to see. :cool: On the driver side, you have to get underneath and look up from the rear of the engine.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Engine Mounts!!!!!!!!!

So needless to say I will listen anytime this guy wants to give advice:eek:
I could not see how that would really work, but it did. It was a weird process actually, went to change the water pump, That god for saken bracket behind the PS pulley was messin me around. Well I didn't have a fancy puller for it so I tried it MY WAY, don't do that!! Poked a small hole in the PS pump so ended up replacing that too. Happen to notice that there was only a couple shards of rubber dangling out of my engine mount so it got done too. Car is back together, no overheating, no leaks, and the AC works perfect. Thanks again to everyone:cool:

Back