Question about motor location in relation to the engine bay

quick35th

Guys I would like to know if the engine in our cars are exactly center in our engine bay or if they are off center a little. My guess is that they are off center a little to the passenger side of the car but I really hope that that is not the case. If anyone knows please let me know.

Shane

Guys I would like to know if the engine in our cars are exactly center in our engine bay or if they are off center a little. My guess is that they are off center a little to the passenger side of the car but I really hope that that is not the case. If anyone knows please let me know.

Shane

Shane,

I think they are offset about an inch towards the passenger side for steering shaft clearance.

David

I thought I read somewhere that the early cars had there engine offset to clear the teves II system but the later ones wern't offset.Hence why 89-93 and 94/95's had different engine mounts.Maybe someone can verify that.

Jay

all in the same place.

I thought I read somewhere that the early cars had there engine offset to clear the teves II system but the later ones wern't offset.Hence why 89-93 and 94/95's had different engine mounts.Maybe someone can verify that.

Jay

The early cars were offset for room for that big master they used. This is the same for the rest of the cars as well. Not tat they needed to clear the booster, rather they used that room to run the ic pipes. That remained the same on all S.C. cars..
Now Shane, have you given any thinking to a "AJE" "K" member?? These can be had with a drop built into them. This is one way to get more room. You can also "space down" the stock "K" member as well. This is one trick that is simple and cheap to drop your engine...
Give both of these some thinking... If you need more info on this feel free to ask.......Rich

When looking at my wife's 95 4.6 LX it appears the engine is also offset towards the passengers side.............

2003 Mustang Mach1
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 4R70W w/Jmod, 8.8 3.27 Tracloc
1995 Mustang 4.2; M90 Supercharger/15%OD, 4R70W w/Jmod, 8.8 3.73 Tracloc

all offset

Rich,

Were any of the V8 kmembers not offset or were they the same as the SC's?

Shane

They offset all of these cars. They needed the room for the steering also. If you call "AJE" and tell them what you want or need they will build it... I know this as I have had them build a few for me to my own needs.........Rich

Yea, Id say all the cars have the offset engine. I noticed that when I swapped my 5.0 in my 94 the bolt hole in the tranny crossmember is offset to one size.

I guess never mind about this because went I removed my throttle return spring off my linkage the air cleaner did not get hit went stepping on the gas. Even though a shaker would be cool its to much money for me right now. At least I found out that the return spring was what my problem was before spending all that money.

Shane

For the record, all early Mopars had the engines offset considerably more than the MN12's. To compenate, the Shaker bases were designed with the carburetor openings offset a like amount. This allowed the "bubble" to be centered in the hood, while the engine was offset. I suppose you could fabricate something similar for your application if/when you decide to go with the Shaker. You can pull up a photo of an E-Body 440+6 or Hemi Shaker base to get the idea.

JD

Last edited:
Back