ATF in M5R2?

Ben999_

Hey I'm planning on changing the transmission fluid in my 5 speed so I did some searching and decided that 3 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic ATF with 4oz of motorcraft friction modifier is what I need. No auto parts stores seem to carry any type of friction modifier though, so I went to the dealership and they sold me a bottle but they also said that I shouldn't use ATF in a manual tranny. They also tried to sell me some fully synthetic manual fluid for 17 bucks a bottle though. The mechanic also said that you didn't need any friction modifier either. Will I be ok with the ATF and modifier? Do these guys not know what they're talking about?

The factory specification book calls for ATF. I used Royal Purple in mine when I changed it. Works fine. Don't let anyone talk you into putting gear lube in your trans; it won't work.

JD

Both of my factory ford manuals state clearly that the trans requires 4 oz. friction modifier. They of course give a ford part number for it, but its the same part number as the modifier for the trac-loc rear diffs. And yes, ATF is the lube, whatever you prefer.

Alright thanks a lot. I was pretty sure that I knew what I was doing but I guess those guys just didn't know what they were talking about.

I tried regular and synthetic ATF (Dexron, Mercon and Type F) in mine and 2nd would still *schnik* a little when shifting. I switched to Mobil 1 0w30 engine oil and a bottle of friction modifier and it's the best it's every been. In older, worn transmissions, the ATF is like a 10w oil so if it complains at all when hot, try some 0w30 or 5w30 motor oil.

has anyone else tried the 0W30? i've got 125k on mine and it does clunk a little on 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts. also synthetic or not? thanks.

Necroposting ftw...

Just loaded 4 quarts 0w30 + friction modifier into my 92 M5R2 with persistant snick on 1-2 shift. definately changed it, not sure yet how I like it but I think I do.

Am I courting any long term damage with this?

Any wise counsel is much appreciated.

Ok guys, those mechanics that didn't know what they were talking about, knew what they were talking about. Use what they said, at the stores, like Advance Auto or Autozone its called sychromesh fluid.

I have been using it for years with awesome results. The trans just acts better with it than using ATF. ATF sucks and gets too thin when it gets hot. I started in 2002 using GM's GSL fluid at $13 a quart now I use Pennzoil Syncromesh. Also, I work at Advance and all I recommend to the F150 guy's that have the Mazda tranny is syncromesh fluid, thats it.

So for once (and I know its not the only time) a Ford mechanic knew what he was talking about when it came to our cars and this is one case that I would advise you listen, your transmission will thank you.

Ok guys, those mechanics that didn't know what they were talking about, knew what they were talking about. Use what they said, at the stores, like Advance Auto or Autozone its called sychromesh fluid.

I have been using it for years with awesome results. The trans just acts better with it than using ATF. ATF sucks and gets too thin when it gets hot. I started in 2002 using GM's GSL fluid at $13 a quart now I use Pennzoil Syncromesh. Also, I work at Advance and all I recommend to the F150 guy's that have the Mazda tranny is syncromesh fluid, thats it.

So for once (and I know its not the only time) a Ford mechanic knew what he was talking about when it came to our cars and this is one case that I would advise you listen, your transmission will thank you.

+friction modifier ;)

Oops! Yeah, plus that too, which you can also get at Advance or Autozone.

I have brass rings in the tranny I just broke so no need for that smelly stuff. :D
You don't need FM if you have the unlined brass blockers. It only applies to fiber lined rings.

I have synchromesh+FM in my 5spd.. works great. I have the carbon fiber lined rings. Not sure how much the FM affects that composition, but the shifts are very good. :cool: As a note... I paid more for the set of rings than I did for the car itself. :rolleyes:

Back