Stru Rod Bushings

fturner

Hi Folks,

I'm redoing my front end, and I've got everything off except the bushings on the frame side of the strut rod. I want to replace the bushings here but short of cutting things with a torch, how the heck can I get the washers off without damaging them?

Hi Folks,

I'm redoing my front end, and I've got everything off except the bushings on the frame side of the strut rod. I want to replace the bushings here but short of cutting things with a torch, how the heck can I get the washers off without damaging them?

Do you have the strut rods removed from the car, or are they still attached to the frame? If they're already removed, the bushings and washers should slide off the end of the strut rod. Since you're in a winter climate, salt may have corroded them somewhat. Soak 'em in WD-40 or equivalant, and use a soft hammer to urge them off the rod.

JD

The strut rods are off. It looks like on the rear side there's a little flair onto the washers on the steel rod that goes through the bushings. On the front side its huge so its not coming off that way.

If need be I can take a pic to show what I mean.

Pic

Here's a pic. This is on the side facing the spindle. On the front side the flare on the tube going through is huge so its not coming off that way.

Attachments

• DSC00638.JPG
    DSC00638.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 96
Replacement kit????? Whats that?????

Remember up here we don't have access to replacement stuff like you guys have. Heck, a couple of times I've gone through a couple of online stores for parts, and got a rather nasty gram back saying "WE DON'T SHIP TO CANADA"

You guys have it so easy down there for restoring these cars. By the time I get a part (if I can) from the US its double the price.

Anyways.... I have already looked at replacement washers and bushing inserts and so far I have gotten a BIG fat no! I've got the OE replacements bushings but can't get anything else.

Replacement kit????? Whats that?????

Remember up here we don't have access to replacement stuff like you guys have. Heck, a couple of times I've gone through a couple of online stores for parts, and got a rather nasty gram back saying "WE DON'T SHIP TO CANADA"

You guys have it so easy down there for restoring these cars. By the time I get a part (if I can) from the US its double the price.

Anyways.... I have already looked at replacement washers and bushing inserts and so far I have gotten a BIG fat no! I've got the OE replacements bushings but can't get anything else.

I don't know if advanced auto parts ships to Canada or not but that's where I got mine.Have you checked with Fast ED to see if he can get them for you?

Jay

Hmmm... well. The way the things are set up is

(front)---------------------------------->(rear)
big washer + bushing + tube + bushing + big washer

where the tube fits inside the bushings and the washers butt up to the tube.

The washers are not intended to be fixed to the tube, so I can't imagine that they won't separate from the bushing with some force. Have you tried using the B.A.H. yet? Spray the top with some penetrating oil and let it drip down between the washer and the rubber bushing. wait a minute or 2 and apply the B.A.H.. :D

Last edited:
how the heck can I get the washers off without damaging them?
It's not possible as far as I know. On the backside, as shown in your picture, the tube is flared out just a little bigger than the serrated looking washer. I removed mine by cutting a groove on the red line (in the pic) deep enough to go through the serrated looking washer to allow the back side of the bushing to come off and then pried the rest of the bushing out from the front.

DSC00638.jpg

Do you have no large auto part stores up there? I can buy the complete set of bushings in the Moog brand for $48 and the generic for $16.

gpi.jpg

An air hammer or a cold chisel will make quick work of that problem. Just lop the head of the ferrule off and everything will come apart. It is common for the ferrules to seize if they have been there for any length of time. I cringe at using the moog kit just because of the number of failures we have seen through the years by so many people (if you care to see just look on tccoa for the grim details). The ford parts, albeit painfully expensive, are truly much better in both design and function.

I have the ford OE bushings from FastEd....

I'll try the air chisel thing... I have one just never used it LOL!

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Ok I feel like an idiot. Used the air chisel on the pax side and eventually managed to work everything apart. Once I discovered how everything looked apart, I had the drivers side out in about 2 seconds by prying on the front side :rolleyes:

What is wrong with the Moog's? I just installed them and they looked like a pretty solid item. I don't read over at TCCOA.

What is wrong with the Moog's? I just installed them and they looked like a pretty solid item. I don't read over at TCCOA.
What is wrong is complete and total bushing failure. It was, in the beginning, an issue because moog had a fatal design in that the ferrule was too long and caused the preload to be directly applied to the ferrule and not the bushing. Spirited driving is shown over and over again to be an enemy of the fixed length ferrule being used in this application. It doesnt adjust to the changes in shape of the plastic material used in these bushings. Failure is inevitable. When I hit the brakes at 110mph at the track i want the car to stop and not to have the bushings fail.

bushings.jpg

Back