Fan in front of radiator

thundrburd

The fan in front of the radiator is shot, but I was wondering if this thing ever comes on cause tonight I was working on my car, and the highspeed fan even turned on and that fan didnt sound like it wanted to kick on, I was going to replace it since my car runs hot all the time hoping that maybe it will save me one day but just wondering if anyone thinks I should or should I just say piss on it

Thanks

Tony,

I don't remember what the "turn on" temp is for the pusher fan, but I do remember that it is ridiculously high. Replacing it couldn't hurt, but I don't think it will make any difference in your coolant temps with the factory "turn on" temp.

An alternative would be to run an aftermarket pusher fan on a switch (or even on a thermostatic switch). I run one on both the LX and the XR7, and it does help. Plus, it's nice to be able to flip a switch and cool the car down in the staging lanes.

-Rod

ANy instructions for doing the thermo hook up you suggested?

Instructions would depend on what thermostatic switch you use, but really it's just a matter of powering the fan through a relay with the on/off signal coming from the thermostatic switch.

-Rod

well the fan is about 120 If I recall, so I am just wondering if it is worth replacing it, or like you said about hooking it up to come on at a lower temp, that actually sounds like a pretty good since my car constantly runs hot for some reason, which I dont understand cause it always ran fine, but any way, where are the thermostat switches that I would hook in to ? thanks

I know that Summit sells them...just type "thermostatic switch" into the search at Summit and you'll see a bunch of options. Autozone may have them, too.

-Rod

Rod,

So I guess all you do is hook up the fan to them relays instead of the connector now, and then run a power wire from the battery to the relay, and then a wire from the relay to the fan and it will come on at that temp ? do you think that will help control my heat problem so I dont have to leave my main puller fan on all the time ? thanks for all the help

Low speed on at 220, off at 217... hi speed on at 228, off at 226 with the low speed coming back on at 225.

If you can get a hold of an EEC Tuner you can set these temps to lower values. I have my low speed set for 200 off at 197 and hi speed for 208 off at 206 etc. I also run a stock tstat and my car even in extreme heat has not gone over 200 yet.

As mentioned you could also rewire everything with a thermo switch etc, which is fine if your not too concerned about keeping the car as original as possible.

turner, are you talking about the main puller fan or the pusher fan in front of the radiator ? also where would I get a eec tuner ? I would love to set the fan to come on at lower temps, thanks

On the older cars it was 1 fan with 2 speeds. On the newer cars 94/95 the puller fan is the "low" speed fan and the pusher on front is the "high" speed fan.

Keep monitoring the used parts forum for someone selling one, as folks seem to be moving to the SCT chips. I've seen the tuner boards as low as $125 on there.

If you come across a V5.2 board, make sure its been updated as I believe it had issues with a chip over heating on the board.

the puller fan has 2 speeds cause yesterday when I was messing with it the high speed kicked on, so I think the pusher fan is just and extra, but I would like to get that to come on at lower temps along with the puller fan on the back side of the radiator, but thanks for the advice its greatly appreciated

On the newer cars 94/95 the puller fan is the "low" speed fan and the pusher on front is the "high" speed fan.

That isn't correct. The puller fan is still a two speed fan. The pusher fan is an additional fan.

thundrburd said:
So I guess all you do is hook up the fan to them relays instead of the connector now, and then run a power wire from the battery to the relay, and then a wire from the relay to the fan and it will come on at that temp ?

You've got it. That will help with coolant temps, but I'm still wondering why the car is running so warm. How high are the coolant temps getting?

-Rod

I really need to get an aftermarket guage in reality, does advance sell them ? cause I want to know the real temp, but the gauge inside seems to be working fine, cause when the fan is on it is at about 1/4 the way up the gauge, but if I flip the switch so the ircm works, it goes to about 3/4 way up and then the fan kicks in, and yesterday when I had it running without the manual over ride switch, it got so hot the high speed kicked on, so it seems like something is wrong to me, but I dont know all that much about cars

Tony,

I'd definitely throw a real gauge on it, even temporarily, just to see what it's doing. Autozone or Advance should have a cheap one.

-Rod

Ok, well i will go get one, I am eventually going to get a good set from summit but for now that will have to do, do I hook it up to the original sending unit for the stock gauge ? and is it just a matter of pulling off that connection and hooking up the new gauge or is there something else I have to do , thanks again for all the help

No, you'll need to remove the stock sending unit and install the sending unit that comes with the gauge. Different gauges use different resistance values for their sending units.

For an electric coolant gauge, you'll just have three wires going to the gauge. One from the sending unit, one ground, and one 12V source. Super simple to hook up.

-Rod

The fan in front of the radiator is shot, but I was wondering if this thing ever comes on cause tonight I was working on my car, and the highspeed fan even turned on and that fan didnt sound like it wanted to kick on, I was going to replace it since my car runs hot all the time hoping that maybe it will save me one day but just wondering if anyone thinks I should or should I just say piss on it

Thanks

Test the pusherfan first to see if its seized or bad. Before anything, check the fuse in the fusebox inside the engine bay. For some reason it likes blowing the fuse...should be a pink fuse. If thats ok, then check the fan its self...try to spin the blades....since its not often used it likes sticking. If the blades do move, then try applying direct current to the fan. If I recall correctly its three wires, blue (12v), black (gnd), and an un used wire (white/red). Obviusly if by applying direct power it doesnt run, then its dead. Good luck!

Rod, would it be ok to put a brass t in there so I can have them both work and then I can mount the new one under the hood so I always know whats going on ?

I just like having the stock gauge working and would like to be able to keep one under the hood at all times just in case, but just to make sure the sending unit is the one thats in the cover of the thermostat right ?

Back